Screenwest is Western Australia's screen funding and development organisation, working in partnership with the screen industry to develop, support and promote film, television and digital media production in Western Australia. Screenwest receives funding from the Government of Western Australia via Lotterywest. In July 2017 it took over the FTI (formerly Film and Television Institute).
On 1 December 2016, Minister for Culture and Arts John Day announced that Screenwest would transition out of government, and become an independent not-for-profit organisation. This structural transition was completed on 20 July 2017, with Screenwest formally becoming Screenwest (Australia) Limited.
On 17 May 2017, Screenwest announced the proposed consolidation of FTI (Western Australia) (formerly Film and Television Institute) and Screenwest. Support for early career filmmakers in the form of a grants program transitioned from the FTI to Screenwest from July 2017, when the FTI ceased operations.
As WA's screen funding and development organisation, Screenwest works in partnership with the screen industry to develop, support and promote film, television and digital media production in WA. It receives funding from the Government of Western Australia and Lotterywest.
Screenwest's funding and support programs are designed to:
- Foster the development and production of quality, marketable film and television projects
- Expand the creative and professional development of Western Australia's film and television program makers
- Promote Western Australian screen culture
- Film and television financing in Australia
- Film Industry in Western Australia
- Screen Australia
- Cinema of Australia
- "New Screenwest home, structure to drive jobs". Government of Western Australia. 1 December 2016. Retrieved 14 July 2020.
- "Screenwest becomes a not-for-profit organisation" (PDF). 20 July 2017. Retrieved 14 July 2020.
- "FTI to consolidate with Screenwest". Screenwest. 17 May 2017. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- Screenwest (2017). "Annual Report 2016-17" (PDF). Retrieved 14 July 2020.
- "State Government's support of Screenwest tops $100 million". Lotterywest. 19 October 2017. Retrieved 14 July 2020.
- "Funding & Support". Screenwest. 17 September 2017. Retrieved 14 July 2020.