- For the similarly named periodical, see Scribner's Magazine.
The first issue of Scribner's Monthly from November 1870.
|Editor||J. G. Holland|
|First issue||November 1870|
|Final issue||October 1881|
|Company||Scribner & Co.|
|Country||United States of America|
|Based in||New York|
Scribner's Monthly: An Illustrated Magazine for the People was an American literary periodical published from 1870 until 1881.
Charles Scribner I, Andrew Armstrong, Arthur Peabody, Edward Seymour[disambiguation needed], Josiah Gilbert Holland, and Roswell Smith established "Scribner & Co." on July 19, 1870 to start on the publication of Scribner's Monthly. Scribner's Monthly absorbed the second incarnation of Putnam's Monthly Magazine of American Literature, Science and Art. The first issue of the newly formed periodical was published in November of that year. In April 1881, Charles Scribner II sold his share of the Scribner & Co. company to Roswell Smith. The name of the magazine and the company were retooled, dropping Scribner or Scribner's out of anything. Scribner's Monthly was changed to The Century Magazine and Scribner & Co. was changed to Century Company. Charles Scribner II was unable to launch a competing magazine for five years. Charles Scribner I announced to a Times reporter that they would make a new monthly publication "as soon as the necessary arrangements could be perfected." Charles Scribner also announced that the editor would be Edward Burlingame, the son of Anson Burlingame, who was already connected to the publishing house as a literary advisor. Charles Scribner also noted that the magazine would not be a revival of the formerly published Scribner's Monthly.
- "Charles Scribner's Sons: An Illustrated Chronology". 65 Olden Street, Princeton, New Jersey 08544 United States of America: Princeton University Library. November 8, 2002. Retrieved August 28, 2009.
- Mark Ockerbloom, John. "Scribner's". The Online Books Page. Retrieved August 28, 2009.
- "A New Scribner's Magazine" (PDF). The New York Times (620 8th Ave, New York, NY 10018: The New York Times Company). The New York Times. July 10, 1886. p. 5. ISSN 0362-4331. OCLC 1645522. Retrieved 2009-08-28.
- "The Scripture of Nature". The National Parks: America's Best Idea. Season 1. Episode 1. September 27, 2009. KCET.
- Works by or about Scribner's Monthly at Internet Archive and Google Books
- Scribner's Monthly at Cornell University Library, vols. 1-5, 7-22 (1870–1881)
- Holland Collection of Literary Letters, University of Colorado Boulder