Scripps Ranch, San Diego
Scripps Ranch, San Diego
|Country||United States of America|
Scripps Ranch is a community of San Diego, California in the northeastern part of that city. Its ZIP code is 92131. It is located east of Interstate 15, north of Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, and south of Poway.
Scripps Ranch is a coastal/inland bedroom community within the City of San Diego. Miramar Reservoir is located within Scripps Ranch and offers recreational boating and fishing. A feature of Scripps Ranch is its landscaping, which includes many mature eucalyptus trees that are most apparent along Pomerado Road.
Scripps Ranch was originally a 400-acre (1.6 km²) ranch owned by newspaper publisher E.W. Scripps. He later expanded it to 1,200 acres (4.9 km2).
Two elected planning groups (the Scripps Ranch Planning Group and the Miramar Ranch North Planning Committee), advise the city on local planning and land-use issues. The Scripps Ranch Civic Association ("SRCA") acts as the de facto Community Town Council, meeting monthly and advising the city on all quality of life issues. The SRCA also acts as the eyes and ears of the community, publishing a 70-80 page community newsletter every month, which is hand-delivered to approximately 12,000 households by hundreds of volunteers. The SRCA also sponsors the community's annual 4th of July Parade, Spring Community Fair, Community Volunteer Recognition Night, Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony, and community clean-up / garage sale days.
According to the San Diego County Assessor's Office's 2008 estimates, there were 32,476 people residing in the neighborhood, an increase of 15.9% from 2000. The racial makeup of the neighborhood was 71% White, 15% Asian and Pacific Islander, 7.8% Hispanic, 3.7% from other races, 2.4% African American, and .01% American Indian.
The neighborhood is diverse in age, with 27% under 18 and 8% over 65. The median age was 39.5. There were an average of 2.78 persons per household. The median household income was $144,438; 9% of the 11,661 households made $200,000 or more, while 46% made $100,000 or more and 7% made $29,999 or less.
- LG Electronics Mobile Communications USA
- Lockheed Martin
- National University
- WD-40 Company
- Rhino Linings Corporation
The community is served by the San Diego City Schools.
- Dingeman Elementary School
- E.B. Scripps Elementary School
- Innovations Academy (K-8 public charter school)
- Jerabek Elementary School
- Miramar Ranch Elementary School
- Thurgood Marshall Middle School
Colleges and universities
- Alliant International University
- John Paul the Great Catholic University
- National University
- Scripps Ranch Civic Association Newsletter
- Adam Brody, actor, former resident
- Brandon Call, actor, former resident
- Jacques Cesaire, defensive end, San Diego Chargers
- Drew Brees, quarterback, New Orleans Saints, former resident
- Chris Chambers, wide receiver, San Diego Chargers, former resident
- Stephen Cooper, linebacker, San Diego Chargers
- Terry Crews, actor, former resident
- Ben Leber, linebacker, Minnesota Vikings
- Shawne Merriman, All-Pro linebacker, San Diego Chargers, former resident
- Mary Murphy, choreographer; dance judge on reality competition show So You Think You Can Dance
- Gary Plummer, former linebacker, San Diego Chargers
- Samuel H. Scripps, philanthropist in theatre and dance, former resident
- LaDainian Tomlinson, All-Pro running back, San Diego Chargers, former resident
- Jerry Trainor, actor, former resident
- Kellen Winslow, Hall of Fame former tight end, San Diego Chargers
- Kellen Winslow Jr., All-Pro tight end, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Kyle Mooney, actor, former resident
- Mike Scifres, former San Diego Chargers Punter
- Chad Ruhwedel, 2016/2017 Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins defensemen, former resident
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Scripps Ranch, San Diego.|
-  Archived August 30, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- "Scripps Miramar Ranch | Planning Division". Sandiego.gov. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "Community Fair". Scrippsranch.org. 2013-05-19. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "Recognition Night". Scrippsranch.org. 2013-03-06. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "Holiday Tree Lighting". Scrippsranch.org. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "Garage Sales". Scrippsranch.org. 2013-04-20. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "SANDAG Profile Warehouse". Profilewarehouse.sandag.org. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "92131 Zip Code (San Diego, California) Profile". City-data.com. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "Dingeman Family Faculty Connection". Dingeman.net. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "Ellen Browning Scripps Elementary / Overview". Sandi.net. Archived from the original on 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "a project based learning charter school focused on inquiry". Innovations Academy. 2013-01-24. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "Miramar Ranch Elementary - Home". Miramarranch.org. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "Thurgood Marshall Middle School". Marshallmiddle.org. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "Scripps Ranch Senior High". Srhsfalcons.org. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "Alliant International University; California Graduate, Undergraduate Schools; Degrees". Alliant.edu. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "John Paul the Great Catholic University". Jpcatholic.com. 2013-07-09. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
-  Archived January 6, 2011, at the Wayback Machine