Scroggins Aviation is an American aircraft salvage and aviation movie special effects company based in Las Vegas, Nevada. It has provided special effects for several network television shows and feature films.
The company was founded by its namesake, James Douglas Scroggins III. Initially the company operated in the aircraft dismantling, crash recovery and recycling industry, taking apart decommissioned airplanes and supplied aviation mockups. The company changed its name in 2015 to Scroggins Aviation Mockup & Effects , and began to focus on the restoration and modification of airframes and cockpits for use in feature film and television productions. This has included both the interior and exterior of various aircraft and helicopters, fabricating both airplane parts and fuselage sections for filming.
Film and television
A selection of films that used Scroggins to produce aviation materials for its sets include Deadpool 2"",",Jurassic World,",Captain America: Civil War, Terminator Genisys, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Dunkirk , Iron Man 3, Sully, The Fate of the Furious, Independence Day: Resurgence, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Fifty Shades Darker, and Flight. Television series for which Scroggins has designed sets have included The Event, Pan Am, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Night Shift, and The Last Ship.
- "Las Vegas aviation company specializes in mangling planes for Hollywood". 21 June 2015.
- "Jurassic Copter - Vertical Magazine".
- "Aviation archaeologist reunites woman with 1958 crash that took her husband". 22 November 2000.
- Air Classics May, Vol. 54/No. 5, (2018)"Saving the Last Convair Jetliners - by Ralph M. Pettersen"
- James Douglas Scroggins III author of Junkyard Jets, a book on the end of live of a commercial aircraft, https://www.amazon.com/James-D.-Scroggins/e/B004PANFHG/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1
- Convair jet rises from desert graveyard, returns to public view, by reporter Diana Bell, http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/columnists/diane-bell/sd-me-bell-convair-20180929-story.html
- "Mojave — thinking outside the box". www.aerotechnews.com.
- "A Boeing 737NG Embarks on a Final Mission". 21 October 2015.
- Local company bringing Hollywood magic to Las Vegas with plane and helicopter sets – by David Schuman, https://www.ktnv.com/news/local-company-bringing-hollywood-magic-to-las-vegas-with-plane-and-helicopter-sets
- JETGALA.COM. "JETGALA MAGAZINE - Life Beyond First Class". www.jetgala.com.
- "Honolulu Star-Bulletin Features /2005/06/14/". archives.starbulletin.com.
- Cinefex August, issue #160, (2018)"Knocking'em Dead - by Graham Edwards"
- Cinefex July, issue #142, (2015)"Indominus - by Jody Duncan"
- Cinefex October, issue 143, (2015)"Wrinkles in Time – by Jody Duncan"
- contributors, Wikipedia. "Focus On: 100 Most Popular 2010s Adventure Films". e-artnow sro – via Google Books.
- Cinefex August, issue 154, (2017)“The Kid Underneath the Suit – by Jody Duncan”
- Cinefex October, issue 155, (2017)"Deliverance - by Joe Fordham"
- Schuman, David (29 July 2017). "Local company bringing Hollywood magic to Las Vegas with plane and helicopter sets".
- Craft, Andrew (16 August 2017). "Vegas aircraft supplier helps bring flight scenes to movie blockbusters".
- Cinefex February, issue 157, (2018) "It’s a Jungle Out There – by Jody Duncan"
- "In Hollywood, Flights of Fancy". International Herald Tribune. 9 July 2012 – via The New York Times.