Scum (video game)
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
Scum is an upcoming multiplayer online survival game, developed by Croatian studio Gamepires, produced by Croteam and published by Devolver Digital, available under the Steam Early Access program. The game is described as a "prison riot survival game" and will feature an open world. It entered Steam's early access program on 29 August 2018, with a full release scheduled for sometime in 2019. The game uses Unreal Engine 4.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2018)
The gameplay takes place in a Mediterranean inspired island where 64 players per server will attempt to survive and get off the island by first removing the implant which prevents them from leaving. The player will earn fame points through participation in various action-driven events or simply by surviving in a hostile environment. These fame points allow the player to be cloned back in case of death, and used as currency to purchase or trade in various safe zones. Players will be able to fortify existing structures and points in order to secure positions or store items needed.
The player character will possess four main attributes: strength, dexterity, constitution and intelligence. These will let form the play style of preference – from long distance running to big bulky tanks[clarification needed]. It promises to simulate the human body, and as such uses a special interface connected to the player's "BCU monitor" which tracks character's calories, vitamins, health and other stats. Players can choose to ignore these elements of the game, or can delve deep into these systems in order to improve the character's performance (speed, stamina, weight to carry etc.). Another aspect is digestion; for instance, if a character gets all of their teeth knocked out, they will have to find a way to liquify food in order to digest it. Defecating and urinating will leave physical evidence of activities on the island, which could be used to track another player. Things like combat will depend on the player's skill level, but also on things like stamina, health and so on. Wetness, smell, medicine, cooking, hacking, crafting, hunting and poison will also play a major role in the gameplay.
The game will offer both third and first person perspectives, from which the player can alternate, but will prevent third person peeking by hiding anything a character cannot see.
Scum was first announced in August 2016. The game was released into early access on August 29, 2018, and is planned to fully released in 2019.
The game was named as one of the best indie games of PAX East 2018 by Game Informer. It received similar attention from GameSpot, listing it as among the most noteworthy games of PAX East 2018. The game sold over 250,000 copies within its first 24 hours in early access, 700,000 in its first week, and over one million sales by the third week.
- "Devolver Announce Scum, Croteam's Survive 'Em Up". 18 August 2016. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "SCUM, a prison riot survival game, is a-comin' early next year". Retrieved 19 August 2018.
- "Guide to the games of 2017". Retrieved 19 August 2018.
- "Scum – Sogar mit Story: Battle Royale von den Serious-Sam-Macher – GameStar". Retrieved 19 August 2018.
- "SCUM is a new open-world survival game by Gamepires & Croteam, powered by Unreal Engine 4 – DSOGaming – The Dark Side Of Gaming". www.dsogaming.com. Retrieved 19 August 2018.
- "Devolver Digital Announce Riotous Survival Game SCUM – Hardcore Gamer". www.hardcoregamer.com. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Devolver Digital annuncia SCUM, survival open world sviluppato con Unreal Engine 4". Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "SCUM – Alpha Sign Up". 30 January 2017. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "SCUM: the survival sandbox that simulates the whole human body". 14 November 2017. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Scum sells 1 million units in three weeks of early access". GamesIndustry.biz. September 18, 2018. Retrieved September 18, 2018.
- "Scum sells over 1 million units in less than a month, celebrates with golden handgun". pcgamer. Retrieved 2018-09-19.