Scum of the Earth!
|Scum of the Earth!|
|Directed by||Herschell Gordon Lewis|
|Produced by||David F. Friedman|
|Written by||Herschell Gordon Lewis|
Allison Louise Downe
Lawrence J. Aberwood
|Music by||Manuel Ortiz|
|Cinematography||Herschell Gordon Lewis|
|Edited by||Patrick Murphy|
|Distributed by||Box Office Spectaculars|
Scum of the Earth! (also known as Sam Flynn) is a 1963 American exploitation film directed by Herschell Gordon Lewis and produced by David F. Friedman. It is credited as being the first film in the "roughie" genre.
An innocent college student, Kim Sherwood (Downe), is lured into doing "glamour" poses to earn money for tuition. Once she has done this work she is blackmailed by the photographers into doing more and more explicit posing. Various forms of implied sexual violence follow until the girl is rescued from her desperate situation.
- William Kerwin as Harmon Johnson (as Thomas Sweetwood)
- Allison Louise Downe as Kim Sherwood (as Vickie Miles)
- Lawrence J. Aberwood as Lang (as Lawrence Wood)
- Sandra Sinclair as Sandy (as Sandy Sinclair)
- Mal Arnold as Larry
- Craig Maudslay Jr. as Ajax
- Christy Foushee as Marie (as Toni Calvert)
- Doug Brennan as Carl
- Christina Castel as Cindy, the model
- Edward Mann as Mr. Sherwood
- Lou Youngman as Dave, punk in diner
- William Caulder as Joe, punk in diner
In his autobiography, David F. Friedman wrote that Scum of the Earth was shot in six days, just two weeks after filming on Blood Feast had ended and was filmed in most of the same Miami and Miami Beach locations as in the previous film. It was filmed in black-and-white not to save money, but to intentionally give it a dirty look, "like an old, scratched 16 mm stag film." Friedman had the idea of promoting the film a week before its showing by giving theater audiences comic books of the story.
- "The Defilers/Scum of the Earth (1965/1963)". digitallyobsessed.com. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- David F. Friedman; Don De Nevi (1990). A Youth in Babylon: Confessions of a Trash-Film King. Buffalo, New York: Prometheus Books. p. 26. ISBN 0-87975-608-X.
- Robert Firsching. "Scum of the Earth (1963)". Allmovie. Retrieved 2 July 2012.