|Sd.Kfz. 6 (Sonderkraftfahrzeug 6)|
Sd.Kfz. 6/1 towing 10.5 cm leFH 18 howitzer, Poland, 1939
|Place of origin||Nazi Germany|
|Manufacturer||Büssing-NAG, Daimler-Benz, Praga|
|Unit cost||30,000 RM|
|Mass||8,500 kg (18,700 lb)|
|Length||6.325 m (20.75 ft)|
|Width||2.2 m (7.2 ft)|
|Height||2.48 m (8.1 ft)|
115 hp (86 kW)
|Suspension||torsion bar suspension|
|Ground clearance||40 cm (16 in)|
|316 km (316,000 m) (road)|
158 km (158,000 m) (off-road)
|Speed||50 km/h (road)|
The Sd.Kfz. 6 (Sonderkraftfahrzeug 6) was a half-track military vehicle used by the German Wehrmacht during the Second World War. It was designed to be used as the main towing vehicle for the 10.5 cm leFH 18 howitzer.
Development of a new medium artillery tractor began in 1934 at Büssing-NAG, in Berlin. The vehicle, produced in around 750 units until 1942, could carry up to 11 men in three rows, covered by a canvas structure. Along as a tractor for the 10.5 leFH 18 howitzer, the vehicle was to be used to tow heavy equipment for engineer units. Production was carried out by both Büssing-NAG and Daimler-Benz.
The engine had a power from 90–115 hp (67–86 kW), depending from the production version. Sd.Kfz. 6 was used by the various German military forces (Wehrmacht, SS, Luftwaffe) for the entire World War II.
- Sd.Kfz. 6/1: Standard half-tracked vehicle, used for towing various artillery pieces and transporting anything up to fifteen people.
- 37 mm FlaK36 auf Fahrgestell Zugkraftwagen 5t (Sd.Kfz. 6/2): Sd.Kfz. 6 fitted with a 3.7 cm FlaK 36 gun, sides would fold down to allow space to work on. Crew of seven.
- 7.62 cm FK36(r) auf Panzerjäger Selbstfahrlafette Zugkraftwagen 5t (Sd.Kfz. 6/3). Sd.Kfz. 6 fitted with a captured Soviet 76-mm divisional gun model 1936 (F-22) in an armoured superstructure.
- Bishop, Chris, ed. (1998). The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II. Aerospace Publishing.
- Sd.Kfz. 6 gallery
- "Tractors Haul Artillery In Mechanized Army" Popular Mechanics, August 1937 – excellent photo of early Sd.Kfz. 6s on parade
- Technical data of Sd.Kfz. 6
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sonderkraftfahrzeug 6.|