Seán MacManus (politician)
MacManus in 2011
|Sligo County Councillor|
Blacklion, County Cavan
|Political party||Sinn Féin|
MacManus was born in 1950 near Blacklion, County Cavan, Ireland and moved to London in the 1960s to find work. There he met and married Helen McGovern, a native of Glenfarne, County Leitrim. In 1976, he returned to Ireland and settled in the Maugheraboy area of Sligo town, County Sligo so that their family of two boys could be educated in Ireland.
Still based in Maugheraboy, MacManus has been involved in Irish Republican politics since the early 1970s and was secretary of the County Sligo Anti-H-Block Committee which campaigned in support of the republican prisoners hunger strikes of 1980/81. He became a member of the Sinn Féin Ard Comhairle (National Executive) in 1982 and remained there for over twenty years. MacManus was elected as the first Sinn Féin National Chairperson from 1984 until 1990. After the IRA ceasefire in 1994 MacManus was part of the first Sinn Féin delegation to meet with the British government in over seventy years. He was also involved in the protracted negotiations leading to the Good Friday Agreement.
First elected to Sligo Corporation (now Sligo Borough Council) in 1994 he has remained there to date. He was also elected to Sligo County Council in 1999 where he still serves.
MacManus has two sons. Chris MacManus, the youngest, is also an elected member of Sligo Borough Council as well as having served several years on Sinn Féin's National Executive. His eldest son, Joseph MacManus, was an IRA volunteer who was killed in a firefight against a UDR squad in Belleek, County Fermanagh in February 1992.
- Sean MacManus at the Wayback Machine (archived November 19, 2007). Sinn Féin.
- "Sorrowful Homecoming for a Brave Young Irishman" and “Volunteer Joseph MacManus”, The Irish People, 22 February 1992. Cited by Bob Nowlan, Reflections on the Deportation of Joe Doherty and the Irish Republican Struggle Today at the Wayback Machine (archived January 27, 2007).
- Sinn Féin mayor for Sligo at the Wayback Machine (archived September 29, 2007) Sligo Weekender, 24 June 2003.
- Rebel Hearts - Journey's within the IRA's soul, Kevin Toolis, 1995. PB) ISBN 0-312-15632-4 p.334
- Sligo Sinn Féin man’s key role in Peace Process Archived March 3, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.
- Brian Feeney, Sinn Féin: A Hundred Turbulent Years (2003) HB: ISBN 0-299-18670-9 PB ISBN 0-299-18674-1
- List of Mayors of Sligo
- Seán MacManus' electoral history (ElectionsIreland.org)
- Sligo Sinn Féin official website
|Party political offices|
|Chairperson of Sinn Féin