Sea Cliff, New York
|Sea Cliff, New York|
|Incorporated Village of Sea Cliff|
|Motto: 1 Square Mile, 16 Parks|
Location in Nassau County and the state of New York.
|• Total||2.0 sq mi (5.1 km2)|
|• Land||1.1 sq mi (2.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.9 sq mi (2.3 km2)|
|Elevation||187 ft (57 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0964716|
The Incorporated Village of Sea Cliff is a village located within the Town of Oyster Bay in Nassau County, New York. As of the United States 2010 Census, the village population was 4,995. The village is part of the North Shore School District.
Notable residents include poet, journalist and editor William Cullen Bryant, poet and journalist Alfred Lansing, author of Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, Pulitzer Prize–winning short story writer Robert Olen Butler, Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist Dan Fagin, actress Natalie Portman, comedian Kate McKinnon, John Rzeznik, frontman of the rock band Goo Goo Dolls, and cartoonist Arnold Levin.
Sea Cliff is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2), of which, 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2) of it is land and 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2) of it (44.67%) is water.
As of the 2010 census the population was 92.8% White 88% Non-Hispanic white, 1.3275% non-black white,2.4% African American, 0.1% Native American, 1.9% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.95% from other races, and 1.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.8% of the population.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,066 people, 2,013 households, and 1,356 families residing in the village. The population density was 4,655.1 people per square mile (1,794.5/km2). There were 2,082 housing units at an average density of 1,913.1 per square mile (737.5/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 94.83% White, 1.68% African American, 0.10% Native American, 1.22% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.95% from other races, and 1.20% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.76% of the population.
There were 2,013 households out of which 31.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.1% were married couples living together, 8.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.6% were non-families. 26.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the village the population was spread out with 24.1% under the age of 18, 4.6% from 18 to 24, 27.9% from 25 to 44, 27.8% from 45 to 64, and 15.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 94.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.0 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $78,501, and the median income for a family was $100,576. Males had a median income of $65,469 versus $41,146 for females. The per capita income for the village was $41,707. About 2.1% of families and 2.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 0.7% of those under age 18 and 10.6% of those age 65 or over.
Several buildings in Sea Cliff, mostly Victorian houses, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Many of them were built as summer homes as part of Sea Cliff's late nineteenth century role as a resort town, and they have been collectively called "one of the best collections of late Victorian era architecture in Nassau County."
- "Goo Goo Dolls frontman selling Sea Cliff home". Newsday. 2012-03-07. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "United States Census : Fact Finder". Factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 8/22/11 through 8/26/11. National Park Service. 2011-09-02.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 1/03/12 through 1/06/12. National Park Service. 2012-01-13.
- "Sea Cliff Summer Resort Thematic Group" (PDF). National Park Service. 1986-10-08. pp. 2, 4. Retrieved 2016-03-30.
- Media related to Sea Cliff, New York at Wikimedia Commons
- seacliff-ny.gov—official website of the village
|Hempstead Harbor||Glen Head|