The Sea organ (Croatian: Morske orgulje) is an architectural sound art object located in Zadar, Croatia and an experimental musical instrument, which plays music by way of sea waves and tubes located underneath a set of large marble steps.
Chaotic reconstruction work was undertaken in an attempt to repair the devastation Zadar suffered in the Second World War. The frantic reconstruction turned much of the sea front into an unbroken, monotonous concrete wall.
The device was made by the architect Nikola Bašić as part of the project to redesign the new city coast (Nova riva), and the site was opened to the public on 15 April 2005. The waves interact with the organ in order to create somewhat random but harmonic sounds.
The Sea Organ has drawn tourists and locals alike. In addition, white marble steps leading down to the water were built later. Concealed under these steps, which both protect and invite, is a system of polyethylene tubes and a resonating cavity that turns the site into a large musical instrument, played by the chance-based results of the wind and the sea waves.
- Wave Organ (in San Francisco, California, USA)
- Blackpool High Tide Organ (in Blackpool, England, UK)
- Chillida's Comb of the Wind (in San Sebastián / Donostia, Basque Country, Spain)
- Water organ or Hydraulis
- Stamac, I: Acoustical and Musical Solution to Wave-driven Sea Organ in Zadar, Proceedings of the 2nd Congress of Alps-Adria Acoustics Association and 1st Congress of Acoustical Society of Croacia, pages 203-206, 2005.
- Crevar, Alex (2008-07-06). "After 2,000 Years, a Croatian Port Town Still Seduces". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sea organ in Zadar.|
- "Sea organ, Zadar, Croatia", SonicWonders.org (sound and video)
- "Sea Organ - musical instrument played by the sea", OddMusic.com.
- "Sea organ photo pool", Flickr.com.
- Sea organ, prize ex-aequo of the fourth edition of the European Prize for Urban Public Space, PublicSpace.org.
- "Sea organ music, Zadar, Croatia", free-stock-music.com (sound)
- "Sea organ binaural recording music, Zadar, Croatia", soundcloud.com (sound)