|Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust|
Seacroft Hospital Tower
|Location||York Road LS14, Leeds, England|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
A decision was made in 1893 to establish a facility to care for people with infectious diseases. A tented hospital was created at the Seacroft Estate, which had been the location of the former Manston Hall. The present facility was built in 1904: there were beds for 482 patients when it first opened. The clock tower, which also serves as a water tower holding 28,000 gallons of water, was built at the same time; it is a Grade II listed building. The hospital joined the National Health Service in 1948.
The Seacroft Specialist Rehabilitation Centre opened in June 2006. Many of the buildings were in a poor state of repair and the health authority considered selling off the older parts of the hospital for redevelopment in 2008.
In September 2002 a state of the art catering unit was built on the site, The Receipt And Distribution Unit, RADU it was opened by TV Celebrity chef Brian Turner. It provides over 3,000 patients meals twice daily 365 days a year, to all the main hospitals in the Leeds area: these are supplemented by any special dietary needs plus daily bread and milk. In October 2002 Loyd Grossman and a team of leading chefs designed "leading chef" dishes for the menu.
- "Hospital born out of need to fight fevers". Yorkshire Post. 1 October 2004. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- "East Leeds: History of a hospital - from TB to IVF". Yorkshire Evening Post. 20 March 2013. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- NHS News Archived 3 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine 100 years of care at Seacroft hospital
- Historic England. "Tower at Seacroft Hospital (1255580)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- "Seacroft Hospital, Leeds". National Archives. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- "World-class care... in honour of fighter ace". Yorkshire Post. 24 June 2006. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- "Hospital left in limbo over fate of buildings". Yorkshire Evening Post. 29 May 2008. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- "Wii Fit Plus endorsed by NHS". Nursing Times. 26 October 2009. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- "Hundreds of homes to be built on Seacroft Hospital site". BBC. 4 February 2015. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Bulletin August 2003 Archived 3 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine Leeds NHS Trust Staff Newsletter, page 5