|Public limited company|
|Traded as||OSE: SDRL|
Russell 2000 Index component
|Founded||May 10, 2005|
| John Fredriksen, Chairman|
Anton Dibowitz, CEO
Mark Morris, CFO
|Revenue||$1.253 billion (2018)|
|-$4.490 billion (2018)|
|Total assets||$10.848 billion (2018)|
|Total equity||$3.035 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
Seadrill is a deepwater drilling contractor for the petroleum industry. It is incorporated in Bermuda and managed from London. The company operates semi-submersible platforms, jackup rigs and drillships.
In June 2013, the company acquired a majority interest in Sevan Drilling.
In November 2014, the company suspended dividend payments as a result of a downturn in the industry.
Environmental damage due to rig fire
In November 2009, Seadrill's West Atlas jackup rig, which was located on Montara field, about 690 kilometers offshore of Darwin, Australia, caught fire after the field had been leaking oil for ten weeks. The rig was operated by the Thai firm PTTEP. For 74 days, gas and oil ran into the Timor Sea, in what was one of the worst environmental disasters in Australian history.
- "Seadrill Limited 2018 Form 20F Annual Report".
- Helman, Christopher (April 19, 2006). "Viking Attacks". Forbes.
- "Seadrill Now Controls Nearly All Eastern Shares, Votes". RigZone. May 21, 2007.
- "Seadrill beats Ensco in Scorpion battle". Reuters. May 28, 2010.
- "North Atlantic Drilling Ltd. Announces Pricing of its Initial Public Offering of its Common Shares" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. January 28, 2014.
- "Norway's Seadrill says to remain top NADL owner". Reuters. May 26, 2014.
- "Seadrill completes the integration of the tender rig business into SapuraKencana". Maritime executive (Press release). April 30, 2013.
- "Seadrill Limited sells the tender rig T15 to Seadrill Partners LLC". The Maritime Executive. May 7, 2013.
- "SEVAN DRILLING ASA: ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE INDEPENDENT DIRECTORS" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. June 27, 2013.
- Holter, Mikael (November 26, 2014). "Seadrill Plunges on Dividend Suspension as Rig Market Sours". Bloomberg News.
- "Seadrill Limited Restructuring Update" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. September 12, 2017.
- Church, Steven; Holter, Mikael; Rascouet, Angelina; Casiraghi, Luca (September 13, 2017). "Seadrill Files for Bankruptcy in Bid to Shrink Debt Burden". Bloomberg L.P.
- Pulsinelli, Olivia (September 13, 2017). "Offshore drilling co. files Ch. 11 in Houston to restructure about $10B in debt". American City Business Journals.
- Adomaitis, Nerijus (July 2, 2018). "Seadrill emerges from Chapter 11 bankruptcy". Reuters.
- "SEVAN DRILLING LTD: PRESS RELEASE" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. October 16, 2015.
- SMITH, ROHAN (August 31, 2015). "Six years after the Montara oil spill, those who suffered most still seek compensation". News.com.au.
- Business data for Seadrill Limited: