Seaford, South Australia
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Population||4,269 (2011 census)|
|Location||32 km (20 mi) from Adelaide|
|LGA(s)||City of Onkaparinga|
Seaford is a metropolitan suburb of Adelaide, South Australia. It lies within the City of Onkaparinga. Seaford railway station is the southern terminus of the Seaford railway line from Adelaide railway station.
Seaford, a coastal suburb to the near south of Port Noarlunga, was set out on Sections 334 and 340, Hundred of Noarlunga, in 1954 by the Wakefield Land Company Pty Ltd. To the west of the horseshoe in the Onkaparinga River at Noarlunga, the land was first settled in the farming boom of the 1840s and 1850s.
Seaford was also the site, in the nineteenth century, of the Southern Race Course. The pursuit of horse racing and other sports, like hunting and ploughing matches, was an important part of the local social life.
During the mid-twentieth century, numerous land developments resulted from the movement of suburban population to the south of Adelaide and the rise of tourism along the beaches.
- "Search result for "Seaford (SUB)" (Record no. SA0060896) with the following layers selected - "Suburbs and Localities" and " Place names (gazetteer)"". Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Seaford". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Seaford, South Australia (Postcode)". postcodes-australia.com. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "Southern Adelaide SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Search result for "County of Adelaide, CNTY" with the following data sets selected - "Counties" and "Local Government Areas"". Property Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Electoral district of Kaurna, 2014 State election boundaries". ELECTORAL COMMISSION SA. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Map of the Federal division of Kingston" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. 2011. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Monthly climate statistics: Summary statistics Noarlunga (nearest weather station)". Commonwealth of Australia , Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "City of Onkaparinga suburb boundaries map". City of Onkaparinga. 9 January 2014. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
|This article about a place in Adelaide is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|