Seal Bay Aquatic Reserve
|Seal Bay Aquatic Reserve|
|Nearest town or city||Vivonne Bay|
|Established||1 December 1971|
|Area||4.04 km2 (1.6 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Primary Industries and Resources South Australia (PIRSA)|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Seal Bay Aquatic Reserve is a marine protected area in the Australian state of South Australia located in waters off the south coast of Kangaroo Island immediately adjoining and including the intertidal zone within the locality of Seal Bay which is also part of the Seal Bay Conservation Park.
It was declared on 30 November 1971 as the Seal Beach Aquatic Reserve for the purpose of ‘the protection of a major breeding colony of the Australian sea lion’. The following activities are prohibited in the aquatic reserve - access to waters adjoining Seal Bay by members of the public, fishing, and the collection or the removal of any marine organism. The aquatic reserve covers the full extent of the coastal frontage of Seal Bay and extends seaward a distance of about 1 nautical mile (1.9 km; 1.2 mi) covering an area of 4.04 square kilometres (1.56 square miles). Its extent includes the waters around Nobby Islet. It is bounded by the Bales Beach Aquatic Reserve to its immediate east.
- "Collaborative Australian Protected Area Database (CAPAD) - Marine Protected Areas in coastal waters of South Australia (refer "DETAIL' tab)". Australian Government, Department of the Environment (DoE). Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- "Search result for "Seal Bay Aquatic Reserve '" with the following databases selected - "Suburbs and Localities", "Aquatic Reserves", "NPW and Conservation Reserve Boundaries" and "State Marine Park Network Zoning"". Location SA Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "Aquatic Reserves (as part of the proclamation of the Fisheries Act 1971)" (PDF). South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia. 30 November 1971. pp. 2263–2264. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Primary Industries and Regions South Australia (PIRSA) (9 October 2016), Aquatic Reserve: Seal Bay - Bales Beach (PDF), Primary Industries and Regions South Australia (published 2007), archived from the original (PDF) on 19 September 2015
- "Southern Kangaroo Island Marine Park Management Plan 2012" (PDF). Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR). pp. 5, 6, 23 and 24. Retrieved 9 October 2016.