Seal Township, Pike County, Ohio
|Seal Township, Pike County, Ohio|
Friendly Grove, a historic site in the township
Location of Seal Township in Pike County
|• Total||29.0 sq mi (75.0 km2)|
|• Land||28.5 sq mi (73.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||686 ft (209 m)|
|• Density||104.6/sq mi (40.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086818|
Seal Township is one of the fourteen townships of Pike County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,983 people in the township, 1,076 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Pee Pee Township - north
- Jackson Township - northeast
- Beaver Township - east
- Union Township - southeast
- Scioto Township - south
- Newton Township - west
Along with Newton Township, it is the only Pike County township completely surrounded by other Pike County townships.
The village of Piketon is located in northwestern Seal Township.
Name and history
It is the only Seal Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Pike County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.