||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Single by Pink Floyd|
|from the album Meddle|
|A-side||"One of These Days" (Japanese single)|
|Released||30 October 1971 (US)
5 November 1971 (UK)
29 November 1971 (US single)
1971 (Italian single)
1971 (Japanese single)
|Recorded||Morgan Studios, London
28 May 1971
AIR Studios, London
AIR Studios, London
|Pink Floyd singles chronology|
"Seamus" is the fifth song on Pink Floyd's 1971 album Meddle, and uses a blues chord progression in an open D tuning. The song is named after the Collie dog (belonging to Humble Pie leader Steve Marriott) who performed howling 'vocals' on the album version of the track.
Film director Adrian Maben captured Pink Floyd's only live performance of "Seamus" (in a greatly altered form, excluding lyrics, and retitled "Mademoiselle Nobs") in his film Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii. To recreate the song, David Gilmour played harmonica instead of singing and Roger Waters played one of Gilmour's Stratocaster guitars. A female Borzoi (Russian Wolfhound) named Nobs, which belonged to Madona Bouglione (the daughter of circus director Joseph Bouglione), was brought to the studio to provide howling accompaniment as Seamus did in the album version. There is also an audible bass guitar in this recording, likely overdubbed during mixing of the film soundtrack at another studio.
- David Gilmour – acoustic guitar, harmonica, vocals (Meddle)
- Roger Waters – bass (Meddle) (Studio overdub on Live at Pompeii) , electric guitar (Live at Pompeii)
- Richard Wright – piano (Meddle)
- Seamus (Meddle) – howling
- Nobs (Live at Pompeii) – howling
- Strong, Martin C. (2004). The Great Rock Discography (7th ed.). Edinburgh: Canongate Books. p. 1177. ISBN 1-84195-551-5.
- Mabbett, Andy (1995). The Complete Guide to the Music of Pink Floyd. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 0-7119-4301-X.
- Blake, Mark (2008). Comfortably Numb—The Inside Story of Pink Floyd. Da Capo Press. p. 143. ISBN 978-0-306-81752-6.
- Adrian Maben (2003). Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii: Director's Cut (DVD). Universal Music & Video Distribution.