The façade of Sean's Bar
|Food type||Irish pub|
|Street address||13 Main Street|
Claims of age
Archaeological evidence indicates that parts of the building in which Sean's operates is at least a millennium old. During a 1970s renovation, wattle and wicker were found in the walls, and the materials were dated by the National Museum of Ireland. Antique coins, since moved to the museum, were also discovered in the building.
The National Museum is also investigating a claim that the pub has been operating since AD 900. Numerous travel guides have alleged that Guinness World Records certified Sean's Bar as the oldest pub in Europe, but the certificate on display in the bar states only that Sean's Bar is the oldest public house in Ireland and does not support a specific date of establishment. The proprietors have claimed to possess a list of previous owners going back centuries, potentially to Luan, the innkeeper after whom the town is named, but the existence and veracity of this list is unverified.
- MacEacheran, Mike (14 March 2019). "An Irish pub born in the Dark Ages". BBC. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- McDonald, Brian (15 July 2015). "Sean's Bar: See inside one of the oldest pubs in the world - and it's Irish". Irish Mirror. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "Sean's Bar, Athlone – Oldest Pub in Ireland | Ireland Travel Guide". Irelandlogue.com. 4 August 2007. Archived from the original on 4 April 2016. Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- Fodor's 2012 Ireland. Random House Digital, Inc. 7 December 2011. p. 253.
- Flatley, Helen (5 March 2019). "This Irish Bar Holds the Record as the World's Oldest Pub – Take a Look Inside". The Vintage News. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- Flynn, Sean Patrick (22 May 2018). "Pull up a Chair and Have a Drink at the Oldest Bar in Ireland". Departures. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- Daugherty, Christi (27 December 2011). Frommer's Ireland (22 ed.). Frommers. p. 493. ISBN 978-1118027653.
- P.W. Joyce. "Irish Local Names Explained". Archived from the original on 9 May 2005.
- Gwynn, Stephen Lucius (1914). The Fair Hills of Ireland. Maunsel. p. 250.
athlone ford of luain.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sean's Bar.|
|This pub-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Ireland-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|