20 May 1981 |
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
|Genres||Pop, dance-pop, R&B|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, keyboards|
Sean Kieran Conlon (born 20 May 1981 in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England) is an English singer best known as a member of boy band Five before leaving in 2001 a few months before the group announced their split. Conlon rejoined the group in 2013 as part of the ITV2 series The Big Reunion.
Conlon is of Irish descent and has four siblings. He grew up in Horsforth and attended St Mary's RC Primary School and St. Mary's Catholic High School, Menston. As a child his interests lay in becoming a record producer of soul music or playing rugby. He had his very first recording session aged eleven and, at the age of thirteen, performed for Harvey Goldsmith, Richard Skinner and Phil Collins after winning Yamaha's Young Composer Competition. Shortly after, Conlon's father, actor Dennis Conlon, (the Chief in Shameless) contacted Bob Herbert and asked him to consider Sean. Sean was initially refused due to being only 15-years-old but, as was the only boy out of 3,000 applicants that played his own composition at the audition, Simon Cowell said "Yes".
Whilst a member of Five, Conlon received schooling from a home tutor for the first month of his pop career but couldn't continue due to the heavy schedule.
After Five disbanded in late 2001, Conlon began been pursuing a solo career as an R&B, jazz and soul singer and pianist in the cafés of London, and was signed to a recording contract. It was this that made him decide not to be part of Five's ultimately unsuccessful comeback in 2006. He ultimately became the second group member to sign a solo recording deal, with Sony, and began work on a new album. Soon after work on the album had begun however, he was dropped by the label.
In March 2012, Conlon auditioned for the first series of The Voice UK, but he did not make it through to the next round as no coach chose him. Following this, Conlon reunited with his former bandmates to discuss the possibility of a second reunion. In October, it was announced that Five were reuniting for a second time, and that Conlon would be taking part this time.
In Five's earlier days, Conlon was briefly engaged to dancer Suzanne Mole, who toured with the group. He is with his current wife, who prefers to remain anonymous. On 15 January 2014, it was announced that they were expecting their first child "any time soon". The following week, they welcomed their first child, a daughter.
- "Five are back... as Four". The SUn. Retrieved 6 October 2007.
- Josh Darvill (14 March 2012). "The Voice UK spoilers: Former Five band member Sean Conlon auditions!". TellyMix. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- "The Voice: 5ive star Sean Conlon's comeback ends early on new show". Metro.co.uk. 24 March 2012. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- "5ive Sean Conlon has another shot at fame after The Voice boot". The Sun. 30 March 2012. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- Heath, Olivia (15 January 2014). "5ive star Sean Conlon expecting first baby with wife". Reveal (Nat Mags). Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- Rigler, Natasha (23 January 2014). "5ive's Sean Conlon and wife welcome first child - a baby daughter!". Reveal (Nat Mags). Retrieved 23 January 2014.