Sean Conway (swimmer)
Conway on 22 August 2013, during his Swimming Britain challenge
6 April 1981 |
|Known for||First person to swim the length of Great Britain & record for worlds longest continuous triathlon of 4200 miles.|
Sean Conway (born 1981) is a Zimbabwean endurance adventurer, author and motivational speaker, who became the first person to cycle, swim, and run the length of Great Britain, from Land's End to John o'Groats.
Starting on 30 June 2013, Conway set out to swim from Land's End in the south-west of Great Britain, to John o'Groats, in the north, travelling up the west coast of Great Britain and via the east coast of Ireland. He completed the swim on 11 November, the first person to do so, having swum 900 miles (1,400 km), in 135 days, 90 of which were spent in the water, the others avoiding contrary tides, resting, and avoiding bad weather, sometimes ashore and sometimes on his support yacht. He grew a thick beard to help prevent jellyfish stinging his face.
Sean Conway became the first person to complete an "ultimate triathlon" when he finished running from John O'Groats to Land's End. He had already cycled and swum the entire way before. Sean Conway completed the "ultimate triathlon" unsupported, without the support of a team and lifeboats.
- —— (2012). World Cycling Stripped Bare: Anyone can cycle the world. This is how. Mortimer Lion Publishing. ISBN 9780957449701.
- —— (2012). Land's End to John O'Groats: The ride that started it all. Mortimer Lion Publishing. ISBN 978-0957449732.
- Conway, Sean. "Sean". Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- "Sean Conway becomes first to swim length of UK". The Guardian. Press Association. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Land's End to John O'Groats swimmer Sean Conway reaches end". BBC Online. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "OH swims length of Britain". Hilton College. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- Conway, Sean. "My life as a photographer". Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- Conway, Sean. "Talks - Sean Conway - Endurance Adventuring". Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- de Castella, Tom (12 November 2013). "Sean Conway: How hard is it to swim the length of Britain?". BBC Online. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
|This biographical article related to a British swimmer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|