Dempster playing for St Kilda in 2011
|Full name||Sean Dempster|
|Date of birth||20 January 1984|
|Original team(s)||Gippsland Power (TAC Cup)|
|Draft||No. 34, 2002 National Draft|
|Height / weight||191 cm / 87 kg|
|Current club||St Kilda|
|2008–||St Kilda||158 (13)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2016.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Sean Dempster (born 20 January 1984) is an Australian rules football player from the state of Victoria playing for St Kilda Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He has also played senior AFL football with the Sydney Swans.
Born in 1984, Dempster grew up in the Victorian town of Mallacoota. As there was no football club in the town, Dempster played junior football with the Snowy Rovers Football Club in Orbost. He later playing with Gippsland Power in the TAC Cup before being recruited by the Sydney Swans in the 2002 National AFL Draft under the father-son rule - his father, Graham Dempster, having played 64 games for South Melbourne Football Club between 1972 and 1979.
Dempster played his first AFL game in Round 3, 2005, against the Brisbane Lions wearing jersey number 26. In the 2005 AFL season, he played 22 matches, first as a defender and later on the wing. He was a member of Sydney's 2005 AFL Grand Final premiership team. In the following AFL season, he played 18 matches, mostly as a defender, including the Sydney losing grand final team. He played a total of 54 games for Sydney before being traded to the St Kilda Football Club with Adam Schneider at the end of the 2007 AFL season.
St Kilda Football Club
Dempster played 19 games for St Kilda in 2008. He injured his knee in Round 22 and was unable to play in the finals that year.
Dempster played in eight of the 22 matches in the 2009 season's home and away rounds in which St Kilda qualified in first position for the finals series, winning the club’s third minor premiership.
Dempster played 14 games in 2010, including four finals matches.
As of the end of the 2010 season, Dempster had played in 13 finals series matches, including five grand finals.
Dempster's effectiveness in shutting down key players such as Ryan O'Keefe, Brent Harvey, Andrew Embley and Hayden Ballantyne during the 2011 season have led to some St Kilda supporters on Facebook saying about these players that "You've just been Dempstered."
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2014 season
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- ABC News, Mallacoota man plays in Swans grand final, 23 September 2005, retrieved 2009-09-24
- RealFooty.com.au, Field of Dreams, 23 June 2007, retrieved 2009-09-25
- AFL statistics for Graham Dempster
- "2009 Season Scores and Results - Ladder". AFL Tables. 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- afl.com.au, "Cats the last ones standing in epic battle", 26 September 2009, retrieved 2009-09-27
- "Double trouble: Swans castoffs could come back to haunt them"
- "How the Swans and Storm have thrived in hostile territory". The Roar. 26 September 2016. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- Sean Dempster's player profile at AFL Tables