Sean Ellis (entrepreneur)
|Education||University of California, Davis|
|Known for||Qualaroo, LogMeIn, Dropbox|
|Home town||Newport Beach, California|
Sean Ellis is an entrepreneur, angel investor, and startup advisor. He is the CEO of GrowthHackers - which he founded alongside Everette Taylor - and was previously founder and CEO of Qualaroo. He is also known for popularizing the term product/market fit, and coining the term growth hacking with Hiten Shah and Patrick Vlaskovits in 2010.
He is an advisor to KISSmetrics and Eventbrite, mentor at 500 Startups, and a Board Member for Mavenlink and SignNow (acquired by Barracuda Networks). He also is an investor in Bitium.
Originally CatchFree, Ellis founded the company in 2010. He raised $5,500,000 from Index Ventures, First Round Capital, True Ventures, Polaris, and 500 Startups. In June 2012, he acquired KISSinsights and changed the company name to Qualaroo. Qualaroo is a behavioral insight survey software on both the web and mobile with clients including Amazon.com, Intuit, Groupon, Shopify, WordPress, Logitech, and U.S. News & World Report. Qualaroo was acquired by Xenon Ventures in March 2016, freeing Ellis and his team to focus on GrowthHackers. GrowthHackers is an online community and a software as a service (SaaS) that enables teams to manage the growth experimentation process. GrowthHackers is located in Orange County, California.
- "Everette Taylor of Growth Hackers On Going From Homeless To Forbes 30 Under 30". Growth Hackers Official Website. December 1, 2017.
- Ginn, Aaron (September 2, 2012). "Defining A Growth Hacker: Three Common Characteristics". TechCrunch.
- Holiday, Ryan (July 8, 2013). "The Secret That Defines Marketing Now". Fast Company.
- Borrison, Rebecca (June 17, 2014). "The Most Successful College Fraternities In Tech". Business Insider.
- Carney, Michael (May 23, 2013). "Original "growth hacker" Sean Ellis' Qualaroo hacks the marketing conversion funnel". Pando.
- Holiday, Ryan (September 4, 2013). "What Is Growth Hacking? A Definition and a Call to Action". The Huffington Post.
- Oshiro, Dana (March 3, 2010). "How to Prepare for Conversion and Optimization". ReadWriteWeb.
- Norman, Jan (March 14, 2012). "O.C. mobile apps developer raises $2 million". OC Register.
- Kincaid, Jason (July 22, 2010). "KISSmetrics: A Conversion Funnel Tool That Gives Your Site A Memory". TechCrunch.
- Ellis, Sean (February 28, 2013). "Freemium Isn't for Everyone". Wall Street Journal.
- "Eventbrite Investors". Eventbrite.
- Ellis, Sean (April 17, 2013). "Bitium raises $2.4 million as it launches a SaaS operating system for the enterprise". TheNextWeb.
- "Author Profile: Sean Ellis". Entrepreneur.
- Wauters, Robin (May 24, 2011). "CatchFree Wants To Become The Hub Of The 'Freemium' Ecosystem". TechCrunch.
- Perez, Sarah (June 14, 2012). "Software Comparison Service CatchFree Acquires KISSinsights, Shifts Focus To Real-Time Customer Feedback". TechCrunch.
- Carney, Michael (September 17, 2013). "Qualaroo delivers marketer and funnel conversion insights with its new mobile Web survey tool". Pando.