Sean Hepburn Ferrer
Life and career
Ferrer grew up in Switzerland, Italy, and the United States.
He initially worked in the film industry and worked on the design, production and marketing of films. He has been involved as an assistant director in filming such films as Inchon, Tote kriegen keine Post (One Shoe Makes It Murder) and Strangers Kiss.
His mother's death in 1993 led him to found the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund in 1994, a charity funded by exhibitions of Audrey Hepburn memorabilia. He directed the charity in cooperation with his half-brother Luca Dotti, and Robert Wolders, his mother's last significant other, which thereafter continued the humanitarian work of Audrey Hepburn. Ferrer brought the exhibition "Timeless Audrey" on a world tour to raise money for the foundation. He served as Chairman of the Foundation before resigning in 2012, at which point Dotti became Chairman.
In 2017, Ferrer was sued by the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund for alleged self-serving conduct. In October 2017, Ferrer responded by suing the Fund for trademark infringement, claiming that the Fund no longer had the right to use Hepburn's name or likeness. Ferrer's suit against the Fund was dismissed in March 2018 due to the complaint's failure to include Dotti as a defendant.
In 2001, he filmed the documentary Racehoss about Albert Race Sample, who, as a convicted criminal in prison, turned to writing and later helped other inmates to return to normal living. Ferrer directed the film and also took over the production. In 2003 he published a biography of his mother, Audrey Hepburn, An Elegant Spirit: A Son Remembers.
- 1981: Inchon (Assistant Director)
- 1982: One Shoe Makes It Murder (Second Assistant Director)
- 1983: Strangers Kiss (Associate Producer, First Assistant Director)
- 1984: Growing Pains (Second Assistant Director)
- 1986: Good to Go (Producer)
- 1987: Treasure of the Moon Goddess (Assistant Director)
- 1987: Ironweed (Associate Producer)
- 1991: Eye of the Widow (Executive Producer, First Assistant Director)
- 1991: Pretty Hattie's Baby (Producer)
- 1993: Blood In Blood Out (Bound by Honor, First Assistant Director)
- 2001: Racehoss (Producer, Regie)
- 2010: Living the Blues (Short, Executive Producer)
- 2011: Cloudstreet (3-episode miniseries, Executive Producer)
- Hepburn Ferrer, Sean (2003). Audrey Hepburn, An Elegant Spirit (1st Atria books hardcover ed.). New York: Atria Books. ISBN 0671024787.
- Note from Sean Ferrer bei audreyhepburn.com, abgerufen am 9. February 2016.
- Sie hatte etwas Übermenschliches bei sueddeutsche.de, abgerufen am 9. February 2016.
- Bryant, Kenzie (February 10, 2017). "Audrey Hepburn's Oldest Son in Legal Wrangle with Her Children's Fund". Vanity Fair.
- Stempel, Jonathan (2017-10-05). "Audrey Hepburn's son sues children's charity over use of mother's name". Reuters. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Docket for Sean Hepburn Ferrer v. Hollywood For Children, Inc., 2:17-cv-07318 - CourtListener.com". CourtListener. Retrieved 2019-03-12.