August 13, 1966 |
Sean Hood (born August 13, 1966) is an American screenwriter best known for horror films, and more recently, action/thrillers.
Hood graduated from Brown University, with a double major in pure mathematics and studio art, and then spent several years working in Hollywood as a set dresser, prop assistant and art director working with filmmakers as diverse as James Cameron, David Fincher and David Lynch. He continued his studies at the USC School of Cinematic Arts, graduating in 1997 with an MFA in production. His student short film, “The Shy and the Naked” won a grant from the Sloan Foundation for the positive portrayal of science.
Hood sold his first spec screenplay to MTV Films in 2000, and went on to sign a deal with Dimension Films, which included rewrites on Halloween: Resurrection and Cursed. He went on to work on Conan the Barbarian for producer Avi Lerner,. He recently birthed Hercules: The Legend Begins. He's currently working on a science fiction film, Subterranean, with director Marcus Nispel.
Hood writes the blog Genre Hacks.
Teaching at USC
- Hercules: The Legend Begins (2014) (writer)
- Conan the Barbarian (2011) (writer)
- Melancholy Baby (2008) (short film) (writer/director)
- Nellie Bly (in development) (written by)
- The Breathtaker (in development) (written by)
- The Crow: Wicked Prayer (2005) (screenplay by)
- Cursed (2005) (uncredited rewrite)
- Cube 2: Hypercube (2002) (screenplay by) (story by)
- Halloween: Resurrection (2002) (screenplay by)
- The Shy and the Naked (1998) (short film) (writer/director)
- Sick (in development) (written by)
- The Dorm (filming) (written by)
- Fear Itself (2008) (episode 1.10 "Echoes") (written by)
- Masters of Horror (2006) (episode 1.10 "Sick Girl") (written by)
- Sean Hood Rewriting Conan (2006) Comingsoon.net Retrieved June 8, 2010
- indieWIRE (1998) indieWIRE Retrieved April 6, 2006
- Variety (2001)  Retrieved October 21, 2010
- Variety (2007) Variety Retrieved June 26, 2009
- Genre Hacks (2009) Genre Hacks Retrieved June 26, 2009
- Genre Hacks: By Sean Hood
- Genre Hacks
- USC Cinematic Arts Directory
- LaPorte, Nicole (August 10, 2005). "Scribe set to captain 'Bly'". Variety, p. 5.
- Kit, Borys (August 16, 2004). "Hood storms into 'Breathtaker' pic". The Hollywood Reporter, p. 6.
- Hollywood.com (2006) Hollywood.com Retrieved April 6, 2006