Sean Kelly (Australian musician)
Sean Kelly in San Francisco, California with Models - 1986
|Birth name||Sean Patrick Kelly|
|Also known as||Sean Kelly|
|Born||9 November 1958|
|Origin||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Genres||Rock, new wave|
Teenage Radio Stars
Astrid Munday and Dystopia
Kelly started his career in 1977 in Spred, later called Teenage Radio Stars, alongside James Freud who would later join him in Models. After the demise of Teenage Radio Stars Kelly and fellow band member Pierre Voltaire (Peter Sutcliffe) joined with former JAB members Janis Friedenfelds (Johnny Crash) and Ash Wednesday to form Models. The Models continued, with many line up changes, until 1988.
Kelly released a solo single "Thankyou Goodnight" in 1989 and formed Absent Friends with his partner Wendy Matthews and Garry Gary Beers. After a top ten album, Here's Looking Up Your Address (#7), a top ten single, "I Don't Wanna Be With Nobody But You" (#4), and an ARIA award the band broke up in 1990. Kelly provided guitar on Matthews' debut solo album, Émigré (November 1990).
Since then Kelly has played with Interchange Bench (1993–1998) with Andrew Duffield, Billy Miller, Ken Firth and Cal McCalpine; and also with Astrid Munday and Dystopia (1996–1999), together with Astrid Munday (vocals), Stephen Moffat (guitar), Tim Cleaver (bass), Shamus Goble (drums), Rosie Westbrook (bass) and Craig Williamson (drums). Kelly toured with a reformed Models in 2000 and 2001 before releasing his first solo album Moons Of Jupiter in 2006.
with Models (1979 —1988)
- Alphabravocharliedeltaechofoxtrotgolf - Mushroom (November, 1980)
- Cut Lunch (EP) - Mushroom (July, 1981)
- Local &/or General - Mushroom (October 1981)
- The Pleasure of your Company - Mushroom (October, 1983)
- Out of Mind, Out of Sight - Mushroom (1985)
- Models' Media - Mushroom (December, 1986)
- Models' Collection - Mushroom (November, 1993)
- Models and Friends - Mushroom (1995)
- Melbourne (live) - Shock (2001)
with Absent Friends (1989 —1990)
with The Dukes (1990 —1993)
- Harbour City - Sony (December, 1992)
- I Fought the Law (EP) (1993)
- "Thankyou Goodnight" single - rooArt (1989)
- Moons of Jupiter - Liberation Blue (2006)
- ""Two People Per Square Kilometre" at APRA search engine". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Retrieved 2009-03-01.
- Holmgren, Magnus. "Sean Kelly". Australian Rock Database. Passagen.se (Magnus Holmgren). Archived from the original on 19 September 2013. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- Holmgren, Magnus. "Spred / Teenage Radio Stars". Australian Rock Database. Passagen.se (Magnus Holmgren). Archived from the original on 14 May 2011. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- Holmgren, Magnus; Baird, Paul; Aubrey, Ross; Acosta, Lisa. "The Models". Australian Rock Database. Passagen.se (Magnus Holmgren). Archived from the original on 12 June 2012. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- McFarlane, Ian, Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop (Sydney, Allen & Unwin, 1999) ISBN 1-86508-072-1
- Sean Kelly at Australian Rock Database by Magnus Holmgren