|Full name||Sean McAuley|
|Date of birth||23 June 1972|
|Place of birth||Sheffield, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Orlando City SC (Assistant Manager)|
|1994||→ Chesterfield (loan)||1||(1)|
|1999||→ Scarborough (loan)||7||(0)|
|2005–2012||Sheffield Wednesday Academy|
|2006||Sheffield Wednesday (caretaker)|
|2009–2010||Sheffield Wednesday (caretaker)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Sheffield-born McAuley began his football career with Manchester United, signing on with the club as an apprentice in July 1988. He turned professional on 21 June 1990, but was sold to St Johnstone for £80,000 two years later, without having made a single appearance for the United first team.
McAuley was appointed Sheffield Wednesday's Academy head coach in January 2006.
He became caretaker manager of Sheffield Wednesday between the sacking of Paul Sturrock and the appointment of Brian Laws in late October and early November 2006 respectively. McAuley was in charge for four first-team games, winning three and drawing one. The victories were over Queens Park Rangers, Crystal Palace and Leicester City. The draw was a 2–2 scoreline at Wolverhampton Wanderers. Following the appointments of both Laws and Alan Irvine, he returned to his career as the Owls' Academy head coach.
Following the sacking of Brian Laws on 13 December 2009, McAuley was re-installed as caretaker manager, until a replacement could be found. His first game was a 2–0 home defeat to Swansea. He then went on to draw 2–2 with league leaders Newcastle United and lose 2–1 to Crystal Palace in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, both at home.
McAuley has been involved in Sheffield Wednesday's work to build partner relationships with clubs in North America. He has developed ties with clubs in northern California and Michigan, and in April 2009 he travelled to Canada to undertake coaching sessions with Victoria Highlanders.
However, in July 2012, Sean McAuley departed Sheffield Wednesday in order to become the Assistant Manager at Major League Soccer club Portland Timbers. McAuley previously played in Portland for the pre-MLS Timbers. In August 2018, McAuley joined James O'Connor's technical staff at Orlando City SC as an assistant coach.
- As of match played 2 January 2010
|Sheffield Wednesday (caretaker)||19 October 2006||6 November 2006||4||3||1||0||10||7||+3||75.00|||
|Sheffield Wednesday (caretaker)||13 December 2009||7 January 2010||3||0||1||2||3||6||−3||0.00||—|
- Sean McAuley: Do you have what it takes to be a professional footballer? on www.juniorsoccertours.com
- Assistant Managers/Coaches who have been made Gaffers on www.midfielddynamo.com
- Now Playing : Sean McAuley: 'Heavy Rain But Reserves No Washout' on www.swfc.co.uk
- Sheffield Wednesday Match Fixtures Archived 2009-03-14 at the Wayback Machine. on www.swfc.co.uk
- "McAuley departs Hillsborough". www.swfc.co.uk. 16 July 2012.
- "Orlando City SC Hires Sean McAuley to First Team Technical Staff". orlandocitysc.com. Major League Soccer. August 3, 2018. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- "Sean McAuley". Soccerbase. Retrieved 16 March 2017.