Sean McGrath (American football)
McGrath with the Chargers in 2016
|No. 84 Los Angeles Chargers|
|Date of birth:||December 3, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Mundelein, Illinois|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||257 lb (117 kg)|
|High school:||Mundelein (IL) Carmel|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
|Player stats at PFR|
Sean McGrath a.k.a. "bloodbath McGrath" (born December 3, 1987) is an American football tight end for the Los Angeles Chargers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Eastern Illinois University and Henderson State, and signed with the Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted free agent in 2012. McGrath has also been a member of the Kansas City Chiefs and Indianapolis Colts.
McGrath began his college football career at Eastern Illinois University, where he red-shirted in 2006, and played sparingly in 2007, accumulating no statistics as a tight end and special teams player. However, in 2008 he started at tight end and caught 28 passes for 301 yards and three touchdowns. After being dismissed from the team for a violation of teams rules, he took advice from his childhood mentor Tony Danza to transfer to another University. He transferred to Henderson State where he played tight end. In 2011, his first season with the Reddies, he caught 55 passes for 656 yards and four touchdowns. However, he went undrafted following the 2012 season in which an injury limited him to just four catches for 49 yards in four games.
In April 2012, he signed with the Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted free agent. On August 31, 2012, he was released. On September 1, 2012, he was signed to the practice squad. On September 27, he was released from the practice squad. On October 2, 2012, he was re-signed to the practice squad. On December 18, 2012, he was promoted to the active roster after the team released tight end Evan Moore.
Kansas City Chiefs
The Chiefs claimed McGrath off waivers on September 1, 2013. With nagging injuries to Anthony Fasano and Travis Kelce, McGrath was pushed into a starting role. He responded well, catching six passes for sixty-two yards in his first three games. Then went on to face the New York Giants in week 4 at home leaving with five catches for sixty-four yards and a touchdown on September 29, 2013.
McGrath failed to report to training camp for the 2014 season, and was then subsequently place on the reserve/did not report list. On July 26, 2014, Chiefs head coach Andy Reid announced that McGrath planned to retire.
McGrath came out of retirement and signed with the Indianapolis Colts in June 2015. On September 5, 2015, he was waived by the Colts. After signing to the practice squad in October 2015, he was released on October 26.
San Diego Chargers
On November 10, 2015, McGrath was signed by the Chargers. On November 21, 2015, he was waived. On November 24, 2015, he was signed to the practice squad. On December 28, 2015, McGrath was promoted to the 53-man roster.
- "Seahawks agree with 10 free agents". seahawks.com. Retrieved April 28, 2012.
- "Seahawks activate Carpenter, declare cuts". foxnews.com. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- "Practice squad stocked with familiar faces". seahawks.com. Retrieved September 1, 2012.
- "Seahawks vs. Rams injury report: Jaye Howard, Greg Scruggs limited". seattle.sbnation.com. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- "NFL transactions for October 2, 2012". profootballweekly.com.
- "Seahawks release TE Evan Moore, add Sean McGrath". heraldnet.com. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- "Seahawks release tight end Evan Moore". profootballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- "Moore released; McGrath added to roster". seahawks.com. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- "Chiefs Claim Seven Off Waivers". yahoo.com. Retrieved September 29, 2013.
- "Sean McGrath Stats". espn.com. Retrieved September 29, 2013.
- "Andy Reid: Chiefs TE Sean McGrath will retire". NBCSports.com.
- "Indianapolis Colts Make Roster Moves". blogs.colts.com. September 5, 2015. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- "Indianapolis Colts make roster moves". blogs.colts.com. October 26, 2015. Retrieved October 27, 2015.
- "Chargers' Sean McGrath: Signs with Chargers - CBSSports.com". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Chargers' Sean McGrath: Waived by Chargers - CBSSports.com". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "At least Chargers' loss was special". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Eric Weddle 1 of 4 Chargers placed on IR". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 2015-12-29.