Newton playing for York City in 2017
|Full name||Sean Michael Newton|
|Date of birth||23 September 1988|
|Place of birth||Liverpool, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|2007||→ Southport (loan)||13||(1)|
|2008||→ Droylsden (loan)||15||(1)|
|2009–2012||AFC Telford United||105||(11)|
|2012||→ Stockport County (loan)||7||(1)|
|2015||→ Notts County (loan)||8||(0)|
|2016–2017||→ York City (loan)||9||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:57, 16 August 2017 (UTC).
Newton was born in Liverpool, Merseyside. A product of the club's youth system, he signed a professional contract with Chester City in May 2007. He made his first-team debut for Chester on 1 January 2008 against Grimsby Town at left-back, after being an unused substitute in previous matches.
Newton spent time on loan with Southport in the early weeks of the 2007–08 season, allowing him to gain first-team experience. This spell included him scoring from a free-kick against Tamworth. After thirteen league and four cup appearances, he returned to Chester City in November 2007.
Newton was in the headlines on 24 December 2008, the day after he played in an FA Cup second round replay against Chesterfield. Newton scored twice for Droylsden in a 2–1 victory to secure a third round tie against Ipswich Town. However, it emerged after the match that Newton was due to serve a one-game suspension on the day after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season on 9 December. Droylsden had been informed of the suspension by the Football Association on 10 December. This meant that Newton was ineligible to play in the game against Chesterfield. The FA investigated the incident with the matter dealt with by an FA Cup committee on 29 December, after which the three clubs involved were informed of the decision, which was that the club were expelled from the competition, after being found guilty of fielding an ineligible player. The club lodged an appeal, which was unsuccessful.
On 17 July 2009, Newton signed for Conference Premier club Barrow. In August 2009, Newton joined Conference North club AFC Telford United on a one-month loan, following a move in the opposite direction by Gareth Jelleyman.
On 22 March 2012, Newton joined AFC Telford's Conference Premier rivals Stockport County on loan until the end of 2011–12. He joined Stockport permanently in May 2012 on a one-year contract for a nominal fee.
At the start of 2012–13, he was second in line for captaincy. Newton's speed and Freekick ability led to him scoring 6 times in his first full season for the Hatters; making him third in the top scorers list for the season. With Joe Connor and James Tunnicliffe being out of the team, Newton became the captain and was in line for the County Player of the Season award.
On 14 May 2015, Newton signed for National League club Wrexham, to replace the released Neil Ashton. During 2015–16, he was ever present in the league before signing a new one-year deal in May 2016. Newton was appointed captain by manager Gary Mills ahead of 2016–17, after the departure of Connor Jennings.
On 28 October 2016, Newton was reunited with Mills after joining Wrexham's National League rivals York City on loan until 4 January 2017, with a view to a permanent transfer on a one-and-a-half-year contract. He debuted the following day, starting in a 2–2 home draw with Sutton United. He committed a foul that led to a penalty kick, which was converted in the 89th minute, although Dave Flett of The Press praised Newton's overall performance, saying he "looked experienced in his decision making and possessed quality on the ball". He was suspended for the following match against Eastleigh, but played regularly on his return and was used in a number of positions, including at centre-back, wing-back and up front. Newton filled in as captain for York's 2–0 home win over Worcester City in the FA Trophy first round on 10 December 2016 in Simon Heslop's absence, and Mills considered handing him the armband permanently. However, Heslop retained the armband on his return, in a 0–0 home draw with Torquay United on 17 December 2016.
- As of match played 15 August 2017
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Chester City||2007–08||League Two||2||0||—||0||0||0||0||2||0|
|Southport (loan)||2007–08||Conference North||13||1||3||0||—||—||16||1|
|Droylsden (loan)||2007–08||Conference Premier||15||1||—||—||1[a]||0||16||1|
|AFC Telford United||2009–10||Conference North||33||1||6||0||—||2[c]||0||41||1|
|Stockport County (loan)||2011–12||Conference Premier||7||1||—||—||—||7||1|
|Stockport County||2012–13||Conference Premier||43||5||2||1||—||3[c]||0||48||6|
|Lincoln City||2013–14||Conference Premier||45||2||4||0||—||3[c]||0||52||2|
|Notts County (loan)||2014–15||League One||8||0||—||—||—||8||0|
|York City||2016–17||National League||28||2||—||—||7[c]||1||35||3|
|2017–18||National League North||4||2||0||0||—||0||0||4||2|
AFC Telford United
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2008). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2008–09. Edinburgh: Mainstream Publishing. p. 311. ISBN 978-1-84596-324-8.
- Pearce, James (5 November 2007). "Southport 2, Tamworth 2". Liverpool Daily Post. Archived from the original on 28 September 2012.
- "Chester duo go on month's loan to Droylsden". Liverpool Daily Post. 29 February 2008. Archived from the original on 6 April 2012.
- "FA statement". The Football Association. 24 December 2008. Archived from the original on 7 June 2011.
- "Droylsden hit by FA Cup expulsion". BBC Sport. 29 December 2008. Retrieved 29 December 2008.[dead link]
- "Barrow AFC sign England defender". North-West Evening Mail. Barrow. 18 July 2009. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- "Altrincham FC archived news for August 2009". Altrincham F.C. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- "AFC Telford's Sean Newton joins Stockport County". BBC Sport. 22 March 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- Collins, Ben (16 May 2012). "Hatters duo set to sign new contracts". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- "Lincoln City: Sean Newton, Danny Rowe and Paul Farman sign deals". BBC Sport. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- "Sean Newton: Ex-Lincoln City defender signs for Wrexham". BBC Sport. 14 May 2015. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- Williams, Aled (4 August 2016). "Sean Newton: Wrexham squad has bonded well, says captain". BBC Sport. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- Spafford, Nathan (28 October 2016). "Newton pens City contract". York City F.C. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- Flett, Dave (29 October 2016). "Gutted York City boss Gary Mills curses "cruel" draw after controversial display by referee Joseph Johnson". The Press. York. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Flett, Dave (30 October 2016). "Gutted York City left horrified by frightful refereeing during 2–2 draw with Sutton". The Press. York. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Appleyard, Ian (11 November 2016). "Trio of new signings set to breathe new life into York City's season". The Press. York. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "S. Newton". Soccerway. Perform Group. Retrieved 16 August 2017.
- Flett, Dave (25 November 2016). "Sean Newton advises York City team-mates to lose baggage of poor start to the season". The Press. York. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Flett, Dave (15 December 2016). "Sean Newton expected to take over York City's captaincy". The Press. York. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Flett, Dave (17 December 2016). "Torquay woodwork tested three times but York City forced to settle for a 0–0 home draw". The Press. York. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Appleyard, Ian (6 January 2017). "Loan duo Sean Newton and Jon Parkin sign permanent deals with York City". The Press. York. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Flett, Dave (21 May 2017). "York City lift FA Trophy to win at Wembley for a fourth time in their history". The Press. York. Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- Williams, Mike; Williams, Tony, eds. (2012). Non-League Club Directory 2013. Tony Williams Publications. pp. 1003, 1005, 1009. ISBN 978-1-869833-77-0.
- "Games played by Sean Newton in 2007/2008". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- Williams, Mike; Williams, Tony, eds. (2008). Non-League Club Directory 2009. Tony Williams Publications. pp. 266–267. ISBN 978-1-869833-59-6.
- Williams; Williams (eds.). Non-League Club Directory 2009. pp. 200–201.
- Williams, Tony; Wright, James, eds. (2009). Non-League Club Directory 2010. Tony Williams Publications. pp. 196–197. ISBN 978-1-869833-66-4.
- Williams, Tony; Wright, James, eds. (2010). Non-League Club Directory 2011. Tony Williams Publications. pp. 38–39. ISBN 978-1-869833-68-8.
- Williams; Wright (eds.). Non-League Club Directory 2011. pp. 172–173.
- "FA Cup (2Q) v. Stourbridge". AFC Telford United. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
"FA Cup (3Q) v. Buxton". AFC Telford United. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
"FA Cup (3QR) v. Buxton". AFC Telford United. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
"FA Trophy (3Q) v. Corby Town". AFC Telford United. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- Williams, Mike; Williams, Tony, eds. (2012). Non-League Club Directory 2013. Tony Williams Publications. pp. 22–23. ISBN 978-1-869833-77-0.
- Williams; Williams (eds.). Non-League Club Directory 2013. pp. 138–139.
- "Games played by Sean Newton in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- "I won't leave this club – Newton". Vital York. Vital Network. 30 April 2017. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sean Newton.|