Sean O'Brien (Ohio politician)
|Member of the Ohio Senate
from the 32nd district
January 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Capri Cafaro|
|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives
from the 63rd district
January 3, 2011 – December 31, 2016
|Preceded by||Sandra Harwood|
|Succeeded by||Glenn Holmes|
|Residence||Bazetta Township, Ohio|
|Alma mater||Edinboro University (B.S.)
University of Akron (J.D.)
Sean O'Brien (born April 18, 1969) is a Democratic member of the Ohio Senate, representing the 32nd district. The district includes Ashtabula and Trumbull counties, as well as a portion of Geauga County. O'Brien formerly served in the Ohio House of Representatives from 2011 to 2016.
Life and career
A lifelong resident of the Mahoning Valley, O'Brien went on to graduate from Edinboro University before earning his law degree from the University of Akron. O'Brien founded the Trumbull County Community Foundation, an economic development not-for-profit. He is married with two daughters.
O'Brien was elected to the Ohio House of Representatives in November 2010 with 64.53% of the vote, defeating Republican Geno Capone and Independent Werner Lange. He won reelection in 2012, garnering 72.46% of the vote, and again in 2014 with 66%. Prior to his election O'Brien served as assistant prosecutor in Trumbull County.
In 2016, ten-year incumbent Capri Cafaro was ineligible to run for re-election to the Ohio Senate due to term-limits. O'Brien made it known fairly early that he intended to succeed her. While initially he faced competition for the nomination from Tom Letson, Letson eventually dropped out. In the primary, he faced political newcomer Kristen Rock, but defeated her easily 62% to 38% to take the nomination.
- "Sean O'Brien takes Senate seat in 32nd District". Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Ohio House of Representatives: November 2, 2010". Ohio Secretary of State. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "Trumbull County Board of Elections: November 6, 2012 Official Results". Trumbull County Board of Elections. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "Our Campaigns - OH State House 63 Race - Nov 04, 2014". Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Air Force Vet Vies for Ohio House Seat". wytv News. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "Youngstown news, State Rep. Sean O'Brien will run next year for the Ohio Senate". Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Our Campaigns - OH State Senate 32 - D Primary Race - Mar 15, 2016". Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Our Campaigns - OH State Senate 32 Race - Nov 08, 2016". Retrieved 2017-01-15.