|Member of the Nauruan Parliament|
|Assumed office |
9 July 2016
|Preceded by||Mathew Batsiua|
|Born||7 October 1967|
Sean Oppenheimer (born 7 October 1967) is a Nauruan politician and businessman who has been a Member of Parliament for Anetan since 9 July 2016. He is a member of the Opposition. Oppenheimer is also a successful businessman.
Oppenheimer was elected in the July 2016 elections to the Parliament of Nauru, representing the constituency of Anetan. He was not invited to form part of the government and so joined Riddel Akua and Kieren Keke as a default member of the 3 member opposition. He has served in a number of official capacities over the years:
- Vice Chairman Nauru Fisheries, 1997- 1998
- President Nauru Boxing Federation, 2008 - Present
- Nauru Olympic Committee Executive Member, 2009 - 2013
- Nauru Olympic Committee Vice President, 2013 - Present
- Oceania Boxing Confederation Executive Board Member, 2013 - Present
- Honorary Consul for Israel to Nauru, 2011 - 2016
Oppenheimer runs the largest private business in Nauru, Capelle & Partner, which has more than 150 employees. It was founded by Oppenheimer's parents in 1965. It has several different business lines including the largest retail store in the country with supermarket and hardware provisions as well as accommodation, car rental and boat chartering services.
His father, Desmond Oppenheimer, was born in Ireland and migrated to Australia as a child. His mother, Sophie Oppenheimer, is a native Nauruan. Oppenheimer's maternal granduncle, Hammer DeRoburt was the first president of Nauru when the country became independent in 1968.
- "Parliament of Nauru, Members of the 22nd Parliament, Hon Sean Oppenheimer MP - Member for Constituency of Anetan - Profile". The Government of the Republic of Nauru. July 14, 2016. Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- "Capelle and Partner - About us". Capelle and Partner. May 6, 2017. Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- "Count invests in Island". Fraser Coast Chronicle. February 15, 2012. Retrieved May 6, 2017.