Sean Smith (cornerback)
Smith with the Miami Dolphins in 2009
|No. 21 Oakland Raiders|
|Date of birth:||July 14, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Pasadena, California|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||218 lb (99 kg)|
|High school:||Pasadena (CA) Blair|
|NFL Draft:||2009 / Round: 2 / Pick: 61|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 5, 2016|
Sean Smith (born July 14, 1987) is an American football cornerback for the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the second round of the 2009 NFL Draft, and has also played for the Kansas City Chiefs. He played college football at Utah.
He attended Blair High School in Pasadena, California, where he played football, basketball and ran track. In football, he gained All-Conference, All-State, and All-American honors as a senior after rushing for over 1,500 yards with 18 touchdowns, helping lead Blair to its best record in 10 years. He also had 547 receiving yards and over 400 yards in kickoff returns. In track & field, Smith competed in sprints. At the 2005 CIF-SS Division IV, he qualified for the state finals in the 100-meter dash (11.36 s) and the 200-meter dash (22.48 s), placing 13th and 7th respectively in the finals. In addition, he also ran a leg on the Blair 4x100m relay squad.
Sean Smith was redshirted for the 2005 season. During 2006, his redshirt freshman year, he played as a wide receiver for the first eleven games before moving to cornerback, he played in all 13 games ending with seven rushes for 63 yards (9.0 average) and one reception for 12 yards.
In 2007, he started in ten games for the Utes, nine at cornerback. He had four interceptions, which was the best for a single player in the Mountain West that year and tied the Utah single-game record with four pass breakups against the New Mexico Lobos toward the end of the 2007 season.
In 2008 Smith started in all but one game for the Utes, finishing First-Team All-Mountain West defensive back. His five interceptions on the season were the most on the team and tied for first in the conference. Smith's best performance, though, may have come in the 2009 Sugar Bowl, where he had six tackles, a sack, a forced fumble and a huge pass breakup in Utah's stunning 31-17 victory over the Alabama Crimson Tide.
2009 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3⅜ in||214 lb||4.50 s||1.53 s||2.59 s||4.15 s||6.92 s||34 in||9 ft 11 in||10 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
On July 24, 2009, Smith signed a four-year deal with the Dolphins, worth $3.166 million, including a $945,000 signing bonus.
Kansas City Chiefs
|Year||Team||Games||Combined Tackles||Tackles||Assisted Tackles||Sacks||Forced Fumbles||Fumble Recoveries||Fumble Return Yards||Interceptions||Interception Return Yards||Yards per Interception Return||Longest Reception||Interceptions Returned for Touchdown||Passes Defended|
On June 10, 2014, Smith was arrested in Kansas City, Missouri after hitting a light pole with his car. Smith was cited for operating a vehicle with .08 percent or more of alcohol in his blood, driving a vehicle in a careless manner, and failing to present proof of insurance. Smith pleaded guilty to the DUI charge on April 15, 2015 and was sentenced to two years of probation, as well as, fined $895 after failing to present proof of insurance.
- "Sean Smith Bio - The Official Athletic Site of the University of Utah". utahutes.com. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "CIF-SS Division IV Prelims - Track & Field Meet". Athletic.net. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Utah Utes cornerback Sean Smith declares for NFL draft". ESPN.com. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Rookie CB Smith signs with Miami Dolphins", Sporting News, July 24, 2009
- "Sean Smith, K.C. Chiefs have three-year, $18M contract". NFL.com. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- Teicher, Adam (April 15, 2015). "Sean Smith pleads guilty to DUI, gets two years' probation". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- Sessler, Marc (July 24, 2015). "Chiefs' Sean Smith receives three-game suspension". NFL.com. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- Oakland Raiders Sign Free Agent Cornerback Sean Smith
- "Sean Smith Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Sean Smith arrested, booked after crashing into pole". NFL.com.