Spence with the Steelers in the 2015 season
June 7, 1990 |
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||231 lb (105 kg)|
|High school:||Miami (FL) Northwestern|
|NFL Draft:||2012 / Round: 3 / Pick: 86|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
Sean Ryan Christopher Spence (born June 7, 1990) is an American football linebacker who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Miami, where he was named 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Defensive Rookie of the Year. Spence has also been a member of the Tennessee Titans and Indianapolis Colts.
High school career
At Miami Northwestern High School, Spence was part of the 2007 national championship team as chosen by USA Today. His teammates included Lavonte David, Marcus Forston, Jacory Harris, Tommy Streeter, and Brandon Washington. As a senior, made more than 100 tackles, with three quarterback sacks, two interceptions (one for a TD). As a junior in 2006, made 147 tackles, 10 for losses, with two interceptions (one for a touchdown) and three sacks.
Playing as a true freshman, Spence was a starter in Miami’s final eight games, and ranked third on the team with 62 tackles to go along with 7.5 tackles for loss, and a pair of sacks. He was named to College Football News′ All-Freshman first team, as well as Rivals.com′s 2008 Freshman All-America team. Four weeks into the 2010 season, Spence had team-highs in tackles (38) and tackles for loss (6.5) in only four games. At the end of the 2011 season, Spence earned first-team All-ACC recognition for the 2011 season. The senior captain, who tied for fifth place in the Atlantic Coast Conference with 106 total tackles in 2011, ended the year second among all NCAA players with 47 career tackles for loss, including 14.0 in 2011. A semifinalist for the Butkus Award, Spence averaged 9.64 tackles per game (fourth in conference) and 1.27 tackles for loss per game (third in conference) in 2011. He finished the season with three sacks, one pass break-up and one forced fumble.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 11 in
|31 1⁄2 in
|9 1⁄4 in
|4.71 s||1.63 s||2.70 s||4.28 s||7.46 s||33 1⁄2 in
|9 ft 11 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
On May 29, 2012, the Pittsburgh Steelers signed Spence to a four-year, $2.70 million contract.
He suffered a serious knee injury during the preseason and was declared out for the entire 2012 season. On August 25, 2013, the Steelers placed Spence on the Reserve/Physically Unable To Perform (PUP) List. Three weeks after being taken off of the PUP list, the Steelers placed Spence on injured reserve, ending his injury-ridden 2013 season. Sean Spence finished the 2014 season with 53 tackles and 1 sack for the Steelers, finishing with a record of 11-5 and winning the AFC North Division. Spence, who missed one game and didn't finish two due to hamstring injuries, had 37 tackles and a sack as the Steelers completed the 2015 regular season with a 10-6 mark. The Steelers won their first round playoff game against the Cincinnati Bengals before dropping the next to Denver.
On March 19, 2017, Spence signed a one-year, $3 million contract with the Indianapolis Colts. On September 2, 2017, the Colts released Spence as part of the final roster cuts. He was re-signed on September 13, 2017. He was released again on October 3, 2017.
Pittsburgh Steelers (second stint)
- Miami Northwestern crowned Super 25 champion
- Rivals.com outside linebackers 2008
- Cirminiello, Richard (December 11, 2008). "2008 CFN All-Freshman Defensive Team". College Football News. Archived from the original on December 14, 2008.
- "Rivals.com 2008 Freshman All-America teams". Rivals.com. December 17, 2008. Archived from the original on June 4, 2009.
- "NFL Draft Profile: Sean Spence". NFL.com. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- "Spotrac.com: Sean Spence contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- "Steelers Make Roster Moves; Trim Roster to 75". Steelers.com. August 25, 2013. Retrieved August 26, 2013.
- "Pittsburgh Steelers May Activate Sean Spence from PUP After Week 6 Match-Up".
- "Pittsburgh Steelers Place Linebacker Sean Spence on Injured Reserve".
- Sean Spence Steelers page
- Titans agree to terms with LB Sean Spence
- Shook, Nick (March 19, 2017). "Colts agree to one-year deal with LB Sean Spence". NFL.com.
- Patra, Kevin (September 2, 2017). "Indianapolis Colts cut linebacker Sean Spence". NFL.com.
- "Roster Moves: Colts Sign LB-Sean Spence, Place T/G Denzelle Good on Injured Reserve List". Colts.com. September 13, 2017.
- "Colts Sign OL Kalis, Person; Place Bond On IR". Colts.com. October 3, 2017.
- Varley, Teresa (December 6, 2017). "Steelers bring back Spence". Steelers.com.