|Born||June 2, 1965|
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Born in Lubbock, Texas, Sean Stewart moved to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in 1968. After stints in Houston, Texas, Vancouver, British Columbia, Irvine, California, Monterey, California Davis, and Santa Monica, California, he now lives in Pasadena, California.
He received an Honors degree in English from University of Alberta in 1987, following which he spent many years writing novels. He gradually moved from writing novels to interactive fiction, first as lead writer on the Web-based Alternate Reality Game () The Beast.
He served as a consultant on several computer games, and was on the management team of the 42 Entertainment experiential marketing and entertainment company, where he was lead writer for Haunted Apiary aka ilovebees and Last Call Poker. His novel series Cathy's Book (and its sequels) seems to represent the melding of his two careers, as it crosses the alternate reality game format with a teen novel. In 2007, he and several 4orty2wo co-founders left that company to start Fourth Wall Studios, where they won an Emmy for interactive television in 2013. In 2014, he joined Microsoft's Xbox Studios as Creative Director. After Xbox Studios closed in late 2014, Stewart began consulting for Magic Leap, joining them as Creative Director/Design Director in early 2016.
- Passion Play (1992, science fiction novel, winner of the Prix Aurora and Arthur Ellis Awards)
- Nobody's Son (1994, fantasy novel, winner of the Prix Aurora Award)
- Resurrection Man (1995, magic realist fantasy novel, New York Times Best Science Fiction Book of the Year)
- Clouds End (1996, heroic fantasy novel)
- The Night Watch (1997, set in the same world as Resurrection Man)
- Mockingbird (1998, New York Times Notable Book of the Year, World Fantasy Award nominee, Speculations Readers' Poll Best Book of the Year)
- Galveston (2000, World Fantasy Award and Sunburst Award winner, again set in the same world as Resurrection Man)
- Perfect Circle (2004, another magic realist fantasy novel; Nebula nominee; also published under the title Firecracker)
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (Star Wars: A Clone Wars Novel) (2004)
- Cathy's Book (2006)
- Cathy's Key (2008)
- Cathy's Ring (2009)
- World Fantasy Convention (2010). "Award Winners and Nominees". Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- Official website
- Sean Stewart at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- 42 Entertainment, Sean Stewart's former job
- Fourth Wall Studios, co-founded by Stewart
- 1999 interview by Locus (locusmag.com)
- 2005 interview by Locus
- 2006 interview on alternate reality gaming at Encyclopedia Hanasiana (hanasiana.com)
- Discussion of Stewart at theforce.net
- Sean Stewart at Library of Congress Authorities, with 16 catalogue records