June 2, 1965 |
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Born in Lubbock, Texas, Sean Stewart moved to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in 1968. After stints in Houston, Texas, Vancouver, British Columbia, Irvine, California, Monterey, California and Davis, California, he now lives in Santa Monica, California with his wife and younger daughter.
He received an Honors degree in English from University of Alberta in 1987, following which he spent many years writing novels. He gradually moved from writing novels to interactive fiction, first as lead writer on the Web-based Alternate Reality Game () The Beast.
He served as a consultant on several computer games, and was on the management team of the 42 Entertainment experiential marketing and entertainment company, where he was lead writer for Haunted Apiary aka ilovebees and Last Call Poker. His newest novel Cathy's Book seems to represent the melding of his two careers, as it crosses the alternate reality game format with a teen novel. In 2007, he and several 4orty2wo co-founders left that company to start Fourth Wall Studios, where they won an Emmy for interactive television in 2013. In 2014, he joined MIcrosoft's Xbox Studios as Creative Director.
- Passion Play (1992, science fiction novel, winner of the Prix Aurora and Arthur Ellis Awards)
- Nobody's Son (1994, fantasy novel, winner of the Prix Aurora Award)
- Resurrection Man (1995, magic realist fantasy novel, New York Times Best Science Fiction Book of the Year)
- Clouds End (1996, heroic fantasy novel)
- The Night Watch (1997, set in the same world as Resurrection Man)
- Mockingbird (1998, New York Times Notable Book of the Year, World Fantasy Award nominee, Speculations Readers' Poll Best Book of the Year)
- Galveston (2000, World Fantasy Award and Sunburst Award winner, again set in the same world as Resurrection Man)
- Perfect Circle (2004, another magic realist fantasy novel; Nebula nominee; also published under the title Firecracker)
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (Star Wars: A Clone Wars Novel) (2004)
- Cathy's Book (2006)
- Cathy's Key (2008)
- Cathy's Ring (2009)
- World Fantasy Convention (2010). "Award Winners and Nominees". Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- Official website
- Sean Stewart at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database42 Entertainment, Sean Stewart's former job
- Fourth Wall Studios, co-founded by Stewart
- 1999 interview by Locus (locusmag.com)
- 2005 interview by Locus
- 2006 interview on alternate reality gaming at Encyclopedia Hanasiana (hanasiana.com)
- Discussion of Stewart at theforce.net
- Sean Stewart at Library of Congress Authorities, with 16 catalogue records