February 27, 1991|
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
|Residence||Commerce, California, United States|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||76 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Corona, California, United States|
Millennia MMA Gym|
RVCA Training Center
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Sean Strickland is an American mixed martial artist currently competing in the UFC's Welterweight division. A professional competitor since 2008, he is the former King of the Cage Middleweight Champion.
Mixed martial arts career
King of the Cage
Strickland made his professional debut in 2008 for the King of the Cage promotion and compiled an undefeated record of 9-0 before facing Josh Bryant in a fight for the King of the Cage Middleweight Championship at KOTC: Unification on December 9, 2012. Strickland won via split decision, and then successfully defended his title twice before being signed by the UFC.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Strickland was expected to face Tim Means on August 20, 2016 at UFC 202. However Strickland pulled out of the fight in early August citing a knee injury. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Sabah Homasi.
Strickland faced Court McGee on November 11, 2017 at UFC Fight Night 120. This fight was back and forth for all three rounds and was initially announced a majority draw with scores of 30-27, 29-29, and 29-29. After the fight it was revealed there was an error in calculating the judges scorecards and Strickland was declared the winner by unanimous decision.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|22 matches||19 wins||3 losses|
|Loss||19–3||Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos||KO (spinning wheel kick and punches)||UFC 224||May 12, 2018||1||3:12||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||19–2||Court McGee||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Pettis||November 11, 2017||3||5:00||Norfolk, Virginia, United States||Originally announced as a majority draw; overturned due to a miscalculation in scores.|
|Loss||18–2||Kamaru Usman||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 210||April 8, 2017||3||5:00||Buffalo, New York, United States|
|Win||18–1||Tom Breese||Decision (split)||UFC 199||June 4, 2016||3||5:00||Inglewood, California, United States|
|Win||17–1||Alex Garcia||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Cowboy||February 21, 2016||3||4:25||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||16–1||Igor Araújo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Mir vs. Duffee||July 15, 2015||3||5:00||San Diego, California, United States|
|Loss||15–1||Santiago Ponzinibbio||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Bigfoot vs. Mir||February 22, 2015||3||5:00||Porto Alegre, Brazil||Welterweight debut.|
|Win||15–0||Luke Barnatt||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Munoz vs. Mousasi||May 31, 2014||3||5:00||Berlin, Germany|
|Win||14–0||Bubba McDaniel||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 171||March 15, 2014||1||4:33||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Win||13–0||Matt Lagler||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Split Decision||August 29, 2013||1||4:59||Highland, California, United States||Defended the KOTC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||12–0||Yusuke Sakashita||Decision (unanimous)||KOTC: Worldwide||July 5, 2013||5||5:00||Manila, Philippines||Defended the KOTC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||11–0||Bill Albrecht||KO (punch)||KOTC: Restitution||February 7, 2013||1||2:41||Los Angeles, California, United States||Defended the KOTC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||10–0||Josh Bryant||Decision (split)||KOTC: Unification||December 9, 2012||3||5:00||Highland, California, United States||Defended and unified the KOTC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||9–0||Brandon Hunt||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Hardcore||April 26, 2012||1||3:24||Highland, California, United States||Defended the KOTC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||8–0||Brandon Hunt||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Steel Curtain||December 17, 2011||1||3:48||Norman, Oklahoma, United States||Won the KOTC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||7–0||Brett Sbardella||KO (punches)||KOTC: Demolition||August 6, 2011||1||1:03||Walker, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||6–0||Donavin Hawkey||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Platinum||November 25, 2010||1||1:21||Durban, South Africa|
|Win||5–0||Adriel Montes||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Underground 63||October 2, 2010||2||1:05||Laughlin, Nevada, United States|
|Win||4–0||George Interiano||Decision (unanimous)||LBFN 7: Long Beach Fight Night 7||January 3, 2010||3||5:00||Long Beach, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||William Wheeler||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Jolted||October 3, 2009||1||1:55||Laughlin, Nevada, United States|
|Win||2–0||Brandon Ellsworth||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Last Resort||March 14, 2009||1||1:28||Laughlin, Nevada, United States|
|Win||1–0||Tyler Pottett||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Protege||March 22, 2008||2||1:53||Laughlin, Nevada, United States|
- "Sean Strickland - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Mir vs. Duffee". UFC.com. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- "UFC 171: Sean Strickland vs Bubba McDaniel booked for March 15 with Tor Troeng hurt". mmamania.com. March 3, 2014.
- "UFC 171 results: Sean Strickland chokes out Bubba McDaniel in the first round". bloodyelbow.com. March 15, 2014.
- "Luke Barnatt vs. Sean Strickland set for UFC Fight Night 41 in Berlin". bjpenn.com. March 25, 2014.
- "UFC Fight Night 41 results: Sean Strickland shocks Luke Barnatt with split decision". mmajunkie.com. May 31, 2014.
- Jason Floyd (2014-12-22). "Three fights added to UFC Fight Night 61". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-12-22). "UFC Fight Night 61 results: Santiago Ponzinibbio tops Sean Strickland in 'FOTN' contender". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- Staff (2015-03-31). "Sean Strickland meets Igor Araujo at July's UFC Fight Night 71 in San Diego". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-07-15). "UFC Fight Night 71 results: Sean Strickland cruises in decision win over Igor Araujo". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-15.
- Staff (2015-12-15). "Seven fights added to UFC Fight Night 82 in Pittsburgh". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- Adrian McNair (2016-02-21). "UFC Fight Night 83 results: TKO! Sean Strickland swarms on Alex Garcia late to get stoppage at UFC Pittsburgh". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- Matt Erickson (2016-03-29). "Sean Strickland gets home fight, meets Tom Breese at UFC 199 in Los Angeles in June". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-06-04). "UFC 199 results: Sean Strickland edges Tom Breese by split decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-06-30). "Tim Means returns from suspension to face Sean Strickland at UFC 202". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- John Morgan (2016-08-05). "Sean Strickland out at UFC 202; promotion seeks new opponent for Tim Means". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-05.
- Marc Raimondi (2016-08-09). "Sabah Homasi steps in to face Tim Means at UFC 202". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-08-09.
- Staff (2017-02-14). "Sean Strickland vs. Kamaru Usman added to UFC 210 in Buffalo". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-04-08). "UFC 210 results: Kamaru Usman dominates Sean Strickland, still perfect in UFC". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-08.
- Dave Doyle (2017-08-21). "Court McGee vs. Sean Strickland set for UFC Fight Night 120". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "UFC Fight Night 120 results: Sean Strickland wins hard-fought decision upon further review". MMAjunkie. 2017-11-12. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- Marcelo Barone (2018-03-23). "Elizeu Capoeira faces Sean Strickland at UFC Rio in May". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2018-03-23. (in Portuguese)
- "UFC 224 results: Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos decks Sean Strickland with highlight-reel spinning kick". MMAjunkie. 2018-05-13. Retrieved 2018-05-13.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-08-10). "Welterweight clash between Nordine Taleb and Sean Strickland during UFC Moncton". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-08-10. (in Dutch)