Seaport Hotel and Seaport World Trade Center
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Seaport Boston Hotel and World Trade Center is a hotel and conference center complex located on the South Boston Waterfront in Boston, Massachusetts. The South Boston Waterfront is also known as the Boston Seaport District and the Innovation District. The World Trade Center part of the complex is located on Commonwealth Pier.
Constructed in 1901 as a maritime cargo handling facility, Commonwealth Pier was the largest pier building in the world at the time. Able to accommodate the largest vessels that entered the port of Boston, this facility was an integral part of city's maritime industry, handling both freight and passenger traffic, with rail and truck transportation access right on the pier. Commonwealth Pier subsequently underwent two major renovations and continued to host ships through the 1970s, when changes in cargo transport made the pier obsolete. In the early 1980s, the Massachusetts Port Authority designated Fidelity Investments and The Drew Company as developers of Commonwealth Pier, which they transformed into the World Trade Center Boston in 1986. In 1998, Fidelity Investments and The Drew Company opened the Seaport Boston Hotel alongside the World Trade Center.
Facilities and Features
The property has 428 guest rooms and extensive facilities for conferences, meetings and exhibitions with over 180,000 square feet of meeting and event space. The hotel has four restaurants and a health and fitness center, including a swimming pool. Seaport has a 2,300 space underground parking garage and an established environmental program called Seaport Saves.
The hotel contains Hypoallergenic rooms, and Forbes Traveler named Seaport one of "America's Greenest Hotels" in 2008. The hotel is also a member of the Green Hotels Association, which promotes environmentally safe products to be used in green hotels and its TAMO Bistro & Bar is a Certified Green Restaurant.
Awards and Accolades
Seaport Boston Hotel & World Trade Center has received awards including:
- the Boston Business Journal’s “Best Places to Work” award (first place, large company, 2006 and 2013)
- the Pinnacle Award from 'Successful Meetings' magazine (most recently, 2015)
- the Good Earthkeeping Award from the American Hotel & Lodging Association (2013) and the Massachusetts Lodging Association (2013).
- Vogel, Chris; and Patrick Doyle and Matthew Reed Baker (July 2012). "The Rise of the Seaport". Boston Magazine. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
-  Archived October 11, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
-  Archived June 12, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Fidelity: A Major Investor in Real Estate, Too, By SUSAN DIESENHOUSE, APRIL 9, 2000, The New York Times
- Pembroke Real Estate, Fidelity's real estate advisor, studying Seaport World Trade Center redevelopment in Boston, By Catherine Carlock and Greg Ryan, Feb 15, 2017, Boston Business Journal
- Page 274, The Hub: Boston Past and Present, By Thomas H. O'Connor