The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for products and services. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Original author(s)||Mark Pazolli|
|Initial release||16 January 2003|
2.4.12 / Sep 2019
|Type||Raster graphics editor|
Seashore is a free and open-source image editor for macOS based on GIMP, with a simpler Cocoa user interface. Seashore uses GIMP's native file format, XCF, and has support for a handful of other graphics file formats, including full support for TIFF, PNG, JPEG, JPEG2000, and HEIC and read-only support for BMP, PDF, SVG and GIF. Seashore offers fewer features than GIMP, but is intended to be easy-to-use and to run natively on macOS. It includes layers and alpha channel support, gradients and transparency effects, anti-aliased brushes, tablet support and plug-in filters.
After several years without maintenance, development was restarted by Robert Engels in 2017 to allow it to run on newer versions of macOS. Seashore version 2.4.0 was released in February 2019 and is considered to be stable.
Seashore has many of the basic features found in graphics editing software, including:
- Full support for the XCF file format
- Reading and writing TIFF, PNG, GIF, JPEG, JPEG 2000 and HEIC file formats
- Reading BMP, PDF, SVG, PICT, and XBM file formats
- Layers and layer merging effects
- Individual editing of layer channels
- Transparency effects and transparency in gradients
- Arbitrary selection regions (i.e. through a lasso tool)
- Anti-aliased paint brushes
- 6 gradient effects
- Graphics tablet support
- Plug-in filter effects
- Core Image support
- Sahag, Isaac (31 December 2015). "9 Ways to Get by Without Photoshop on Your Mac". Gadget Hacks. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Prokoudine, Alexandre (17 January 2019). "Meet Seashore, free image editor for macOS with GIMP roots | Libre Graphics World". libregraphicsworld.org. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Singh Rao, Vicky (22 July 2018). "10 Best Free Open Source Software For Mac". Technotification. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- "GitHub: Seashore". Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "App Store: Seashore". Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- Download Seashore on the Mac App Store
- Seashore on GitHub
- Original SourceForge site: Seashore (software) on SourceForge.net