Season to Risk
|Season to Risk|
|Origin||Kansas City, Missouri|
|Genres||Post-punk, noise rock, alternative rock|
Sony Music Entertainment|
Owned & Operated Records
|Associated acts||Roman Numerals, Shiner|
Steve Tulipana |
Season to Risk formed in late 1989 from the ashes of the Kansas City punk bands Nine Lives and Curious George. Although Season to Risk (or S2R as they are sometimes called) has had several line-up changes, two of its founding members have remained constant: Steve Tulipana (lead vocals, guitars and keyboards) and Duane Trower (lead guitar, keyboards, and vocals). Drummer David Silver joined the band in 1994. Wade Williamson (rhythm guitar and keyboards) joined in 1999. Founding bass player Paul Malinowski played from 1989 - 1995, until he left to join the Kansas City band Shiner. He was replaced on bass in 1995 by Josh Newton, who also plays guitar in Shiner.
The band's genre-bending sound has been defined as post-rock, post-hardcore, math rock, and noise rock. Their constantly-changing music has challenged audiences, reviewers, and the record labels they have worked with.
Season to Risk's most current release is The Shattering (2001) on Owned and Operated. Other releases include Men Are Monkeys, Robots Win (1998) on Thick Records, and In A Perfect World (1995), with a cover designed by Derek Hess. The self-titled debut Season To Risk (1992) features the underground hits "Snakes" and "Mine Eyes", with a cover designed by Frank Kozik. Both Hess and Kozik produced limited-edition silkscreen posters of the covers.
The band performed in the warehouse party scene in the 1994 film Strange Days.
Season to Risk toured constantly beginning in 1991, often on the road 8-10 months per year. They have toured or played shows with Jesus Lizard, Barkmarket, Prong, Unsane, No Means No, Monster Magnet, Fudge Tunnel, Pain Teens, Melvins, Cheer Accident, Babes In Toyland, Quicksand, Fugazi, Helmet, Archers of Loaf, Polvo, Jawbox, Neurosis, the Get Up Kids, Dirtnap, Hammerhead, Coalesce, Reggie and the Full Effect, Libido Boys, CRAW, Descendents, ALL, 7 Year Bitch, Plexi, 90 Day Men, Idiot Flesh, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Toadies, Calvin Crime, Today Is the Day, Glazed Baby, Uz Jsme Doma, House of large Sizes, Shiner, Molly McGuire, Skinyard, Stinking Lizaveda, The Spitters, Boy's Life, Quitter's Club, Giant's Chair, Keelhaul, Janis Figure, SHIV, Cows, Nashville Pussy, Sheilbound, Collossamite, Dazzling Killmen, Buzzoven, Killdozer, Slow Roosevelt, Caulk, Scrid, Blue Meanies, Zen Guerilla, Arab On Radar, 5 Deadly Venoms, Pave The Rocket, Fragile Porcelain Mice, Nebula, Players Club, Beaver, Tribe 8, the Feds, Grotus, Sweet a Pea, many series, Astoveboat, Houston, The Farewell Bend, Guzzard, The String and Return, Pellum 123, Karma To Burn, Ravine, Tanger, Hum, Someday I, Gut, Hickey, Esoteric, Be/Non, anvil chorus, and others.
Still based in Kansas City, the band tours occasionally and plays hometown venues, including shows with No Means No (2006), Helmet (2009), Iron Rite Mangle / Moly McGuire (2012), and the Medicine Theory (2016), and Descendents (2017).
Singer Steve Tulipana is the owner/operator of two venues in KCMO, the Record Bar and MiniBar. In 2018, Season to Risk will tour, playing S x SW South By Southwest, and release a vinyl box set comprising their full-length albums.
- Steve Tulipana - Vocals, guitar, synthesizer (1989-)
- Duane Trower - Guitar, backup vocals, synthesizer, engineering (1989-)
- Josh Newton - Bass, backup vocals, guitar, synthesizer (1995-1998 / 2012 / 2016 -)
- David Silver - Drums, synthesizer, oscillator, sampling (1994-)
- Wade Williamson - Guitar, keyboard (2000-)
- Paul Malinowski - Bass (1989-1995)
- Josh Newton - Bass (1995-1999, 2012, 2016)
- Chris Sharp - Bass (1999)
- Chad Sabin - Drums (1992-1994)
- Jason Gerken - Drums (1994)
- Peter Murray - Drums (1991-1992)
- Billy Smith (1999 - 2015)
- Chris Metcalf - Drums (2003-2009)
- Loren Chambers - Drums
- Frank Garymartin - Drums (1994)
- Mike Myers - Drums (2002)
- Jerry Baten - Drums (1990)
- Tim Dow - Drums (1990, 1992, 1994)
- Season to Risk (Columbia Records, 1992)
- In a Perfect World (Columbia Records, 1994)
- Men are Monkeys, Robots Win (Thick Records, 1998)
- The Shattering (Owned & Operated Records, 2001)
Singles and EPs
- Mine Eyes/Snakes (Red Decibel/Columbia Records, 1992)
- Biter/Oil (Red Decibel/Columbia Records, 1992)
- Undone (AFFA Records, 1996)
- Beestings and Poison Eggs /w Starkweather(Supermodel Records, 1998)
- Ace of Space (Ismist Records, 1999)
- The Official Season to Risk website
- Season to Risk on MySpace
- Season to Risk on Last.Fm
- Season to Risk on Facebook