|Birth name||Sebastiano Paù-Lessi|
1 July 1985|
Giubiasco, Ticino, Switzerland
|Occupation(s)||Singer, fiddle player, songwriter, attorney|
Sebastiano Paù-Lessi, (born 1 July 1985) better known by his stage name, Sebalter (stylised SEBalter) is a Swiss singer, fiddler, and attorney who represented his country at the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Copenhagen, Denmark. He performed the song "Hunter of Stars" in the final on 10 May 2014, finishing 13th with 64 points. Sebalter was born in the Italian-speaking canton of Ticino. Prior to Eurovision he worked as a business lawyer, putting his law career on hold to focus on his music career.
2000–2012: Early career
From 2000 to 2002, Sebalter played the bass in a Swiss hard rock band called The Stalkers, who specialised in covers of early '70s groups, such as Uriah Heep, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. From 2002 to 2012, Sebalter played the fiddle in a Swiss folk rock band The Vad Vuc, where he released three albums with the band and toured extensively. He left the band in 2012 to pursue a solo career. In 2005, while he was studying at university, Sebastiano co-presented the youth television series Le vostre vacanze (Your Holiday) on Swiss channel TSI and two New Year specials in 2006 and 2007.
2013–15: Eurovision Song Contest 2014 and Day of Glory
In November 2013, "Hunter of Stars" was announced as one of the three entries from Italian Swiss broadcaster RSI for the Swiss national selection. Later in the month the song passed the Expert Check stage, progressing to the national final. In December the song was released as a single. Sebalter and his band performed "Hunter of Stars" on the national final show Die Große Entscheidungsshow on 1 February, winning the selection. At the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Copenhagen, Denmark, he performed "Hunter of Stars" during the second semi-final on 8 May 2014 and qualified for the grand final on 10 May 2014. He finished 13th with 64 points, Switzerland's best result since 2005. In July 2014 he released the single "Saturday". In January 2015 he released his debut studio album Day of Glory, which includes the singles "Hunter of Stars" and "Saturday". The album has peaked to number 9 on the Swiss Albums Chart. In 2015, he retired from music to continue working as a lawyer. Despite his intentions and announcements, he still tours around Switzerland and Italy with guitarist Mattia Bordignon and banjo player Rocco Casella.
He presented the Swiss jury vote during the final of the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 in Stockholm. His second studio album, entitled Awakening, was released on 20 January 2017. In 2017, he performed his song "Weeping Willow" on ESC 2017 – Die Entscheidungsshow. He was a commentator for the Swiss-Italian broadcaster RSI along with Clarissa Tami at the Eurovision Song Contest 2017 in Kiev.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|Day of Glory||
|"—" denotes an album that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Hunter of Stars"||2013||6||48||77||49||98||85||Day of Glory|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
With The Vad Vuc
- Il monastero dei folli (2004)
- Trans Roonkaya Express (2006)
- La parata dei secondi (2009)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sebalter.|
- "SEBalter - About". Facebook. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "Running order for the Grand Final revealed! | News | Eurovision Song Contest - Copenhagen 2014". Eurovision.tv. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "Switzerland 2014". Eurovision Live. eurovisionlive.com. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- "SeBalter". Sebalter.tumblr.com. 2014-02-01. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "Sebalter, incontro (in italiano) con lo svizzero ticinese in finale all'Eurovision". Sorissi e canzoni TV. Archived from the original on May 16, 2014. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- Gallagher, Robyn (17 July 2015). "Switzerland: Sebalter Quits Music for Law Career". Wiwibloggs.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Sebalter". Swiss Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discographie Sebalter". Austrian Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discographie Sebalter". German Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Sebalter". Irish Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discografie Sebalter". Dutch Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Peak positions in the United Kingdom:
- For "Hunter of Stars": "CHART: CLUK Update 24.05.2014 (wk20)". Zobbel.de.
- "Music". The Vad Vuc. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
|Awards and achievements|
Takasa with "You and Me"
| Switzerland in the Eurovision Song Contest
Mélanie René with "Time to Shine"