Life and career
Sebastián Durón Picazo was, with Antonio de Literes, the greatest Spanish composer of stage music of his time. He was born in Brihuega, Guadalajara, Spain, and was taught by his brother Diego Durón, also a composer. Sebastián served as organist and choirmaster at various cathedrals (Seville, Cuenca, El Burgo de Osma, Plasencia) until in 1691, when he was appointed organist of the Royal Chapel of King Charles II in Madrid. The new king King Philip V appointed him chapel master of this institution in 1701. He remained in this position until 1706, when he was suspended because of expressing support for Archduke Charles of Austria during the War of Spanish Succession, which ended with the victory of Bourbon King Philip V. Durón was forced into exile in France. In 1715 he was appointed chaplain to the exiled queen Mariana of Neuburg, the widow of Charles II, in Bayonne. He died in 1716 of tuberculosis at Cambo-les-Bains, Aquitaine, France.
Father Benito Jerónimo Feijoo (1676–1764) criticised Durón, compared to Literes, for the worldliness of his compositions.
- 1696 Salir el amor del mundo (libretto by ¿José de Cañizares?). Zarzuela in two acts.
- 1697 Muerte en amor es la ausencia (libretto by Antonio de Zamora). Mythological Comedy in three acts.
- c. 1697 Selva encantada de amor. Zarzuela in two acts.
- c. 1701 La guerra de los gigantes. 1 act.
- 1704 Hasta lo insensible adora (libretto by José de Cañizares). Zarzuela in two acts.
- c. 1705 Apolo y Dafne (anonymous libretto). Zarzuela in two acts (first act contains the music of Navas).
- c. 1705 Coronis (libretto by an anonymous poet). Zarzuela in two acts.
- 1711 22 January (revival date . Premniere c. 1706)Veneno es de amor la envidia (libretto by Antonio de Zamora, possibly with the participation of José Cañizares). Zarzuela in two acts: Madrid.
- 1711 25 December (revival date. Premniere c. 1702) Las nuevas armas de amor (libretto by José de Cañizares). Zarzuela in two acts: Madrid.
- Tonadas (Songs), Raquel Andueza. Naxos.
- selections on Barroco Español, Vol. 2, Vol. 3, by Al Ayre Español, cond. Eduardo Lopéz Banzo. DHM
- La Guerra de los Gigantes—A Corte Musical, Rogério Concalves Pan Classics, 2013
- Lágrimas, Amor - Arias for Soprano—Eva Juárez, A Corte Musical, Rogério Concalves Pan Classics, 2016
- Coronis - Le poème harmonique, Vincent Dumestre Outhere, 2022
- French National Library
- Grove G. Sadie S. The New Grove dictionary of music and musicians. 1927 p119, 1980 p751, 1992 p1286
- Stevenson R.M. Christmas music from baroque México 1974 Page 43
- Hart, Gordon Quenton A study and edition of the zarzuela Las nuevas armas de amor 1974
- Esses Maurice Dance and Instrumental Diferencias in Spain During the 17th and Early 18th Century 1993 p266
- Wiberg Janice Lane "Opera Scenica, deduzida de la Guerra de los Jigantes" by Sebastian Duron University Microfilms International, Stadtbibliothek Nürnberg 1997
- Grout Donald Jay A short history of opera 2003 p549
- Hudson, Barton (1961), A Portuguese Source of Seventeenth-Century Iberian Organ Music, PhD, Indiana, Indiana University.
- Siemens Hernández, Lothar (1967), Six Tientos: Andrés de Sola y Sebastián Durón, Paris, Éditions musicales de la Schola Cantorum, Orgue et Liturgie, n.º 74.
- Verdú, Paulino Capdepón; Juan José Pastor (eds.), (2013), Sebastián Durón y la música de su época. Vigo: Editorial Académica del Hispanismo.