Sebastião da Gama
|Born||Sebastião Artur Cardoso da Gama|
10 April 1924
Vila Nogueira de Azeitão, Setúbal, Portugal
|Died||7 February 1952 (aged 27)|
|Education||University of Lisbon|
Sebastião Artur Cardoso da Gama (10 April 1924 –28 7 February 1952) was a Portuguese poet.
He was professor at the Veiga Beirão Commercial and Industrial School in Lisbon, later in suburban Setúbal at the Commercial Industrial School (now the Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama) and in Estremoz at the local Commercial and Industrial School, the city where a primary school would be named after him, the modern Basic School (Escola Básica Sebastião da Gama EB2,3 Estremoz).
He made a charter which was sent[to whom?] in August 1947 with other personalities to protect Serra da Arrábida and formed a movement to create the LPN (Liga para a Protecção da Natureza (Natural Protection League) in 1948, the first Portuguese ecologic association. The Arrábida Natural Park was founded in 1976.
In his Diário, edited and published posthumously in 1958, he documented his experiences as a teacher and a made a valuable reflection on teaching.
The parish administrations of São Lourenço and São Simão, now fully neighborhoods of Setúbal, was honored with his name in the Portuguese National Poetry Award.[clarification needed] On June 1, 1999, Museu Sebastião da Gama was founded in his birthplace and preserves the memories of his work Poeta da Arrábida. Seven of his poems were featured along with Cape Verdean poems in Poesia de Cabo Verde e Sete Poemas de Sebastião da Gama which was released as part of the Associação Música XXI in June 2007.
- Serra-Mãe. Lisboa: Portugália Editora, 1945
- Loas a Nossa Senhora da Arrábida. Com Miguel Caleiro. Lisboa: Imprensa Artística, 1946
- Cabo da Boa Esperança (Cape of Good Hope). Lisboa: Portugália Editora, 1947
- Campo Aberto (Shut Camp). Lisboa: Portugália Editora, 1951
- A Região dos Três Castelos. Azeitão: Transportadora Setubalense, 1949.
- Pelo Sonho é que Vamos, 1953
- Diário, 1958
- Itinerário Paralelo (Itinerary Parallel), 1967.
- Compiled by David Mourão-Ferreira
- O Segredo é Amar (Secrets from the Sea), 1969
- Cartas I (Charters I), 1994
- Infopedia (in Portuguese)
- "Ficha histórica: Mundo literário : semanário de crítica e informação literária, científica e artística (1946-1948)" [Mundo literário: Critic's Seminary on Literary, Artistic and Scientiifc Information (1946-48)] (PDF) (in Portuguese). Hemeroteca Municipal de Lisboa. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "Cópia de carta de Sebastião da Gama a apelar à salvaguarda da Serra da da Arrábida" (in Portuguese). Nesta Hora Blog. 10 April 2008. April 2008.
- "Comemorações do 91.º Aniversário de Sebastião da Gama" [Commemorating the 91st Birthday of Sebastião da Gama] (in Portuguese). Zoom. 2015-04-01.
- "Sebastião da Gama (1924-1952)" (in Portuguese). Câmara Municipal de Setúbal. Archived from the original on 2015-03-18. Retrieved 2005-05-08.
- Martins, Engrácia da Glória Quintela Alves Sousa Varajão . Educação e Doutrinamento: O pensamento educacional de Sebastião da Gama (pdf) (in Portuguese)
- Santos, Alexandre Francisco Ferreira dos Sebastião da Gama: milagre de vida em busca do eterno[dead link] (pdf) (in Portuguese)
- Instituto Camões (in Portuguese)
- Editorial Presença - Sebastião da Gama - Biography (in Portuguese)
- http://alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt/vercial/sgama.htm Projecto Vercial] (in Portuguese)