|Full name||Sebastian Steve Qvacoe Cann-Svärd|
|Date of birth||15 January 1983|
|Place of birth||Hvidovre, Denmark|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|2003||→ Copenhagen (loan)||10||(0)|
|2004||→ Stoke City (loan)||13||(1)|
|2004–2005||→ Brøndby (loan)||22||(0)|
|2005–2006||→ Vitória Guimarães (loan)||28||(1)|
|2006–2010||Borussia Mönchengladbach II||5||(0)|
|2009||→ Hansa Rostock (loan)||13||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21:21, 10 January 2018 (UTC)|
Svärd was born in Hvidovre, Denmark, to a Swedish mother and Ghanaian father. He started out at Kjøbenhavns Boldklub, the reserve team of F.C. Copenhagen. Here he was seen as a prodigy, impressing the coaches of the Denmark under-16, under-17 and under-19 national teams. As so he was bought by English club Arsenal for an undisclosed fee in November 2000.
He won the FA Youth Cup with the club's academy in his first season. His first-team Arsenal debut came in a League Cup fourth round match on 27 November 2001, as a substitute in a 2–0 win over Grimsby Town. Over the next two years, he made two more appearances for Arsenal, one more in the League Cup against Sunderland and one in the FA Cup against Oxford United. Arsenal went on to win the FA Cup final that season but Svärd was left out of the squad.
He returned on loan to his old club Copenhagen in August 2003, in need of first-team play; after just four months he returned to England to play for Stoke City, for whom he played nine league matches and scored one goal against Sunderland In August 2004, he came on as a substitute in Arsenal's 3–1 Community Shield victory over Manchester United.
As such soon afterwards he was loaned to Danish club Brøndby IF for the whole season. At Brøndby, he played both as a defensive midfielder and right back, in a season which ended with both the Danish Superliga championship and triumph in the Danish Cup tournament. Altogether Svärd was capped a sum of four times for the Gunners.
After a single season with Vitória, where he was, and still is a beloved player, he moved to Borussia Mönchengladbach on 21 June 2006, again for an undisclosed fee. On 25 February 2007, he played his first Bundesliga match for Mönchengladbach against Werder Bremen. He was snapped on loan upon 8 January 2009 by Hansa Rostock.
On 15 January 2010, he moved on from Borussia to become a free agent. Svärd was then signed only three days later by Dutch club Roda JC. Svärd then returned to Denmark and played three matches for Silkeborg IF in 2011–12. He joined Swedish side Syrianska for the 2013 Allsvenskan.
Svärd debuted for the under-21 national team in November 2002, 19 years old. He has played more than 50 matches for various Danish youth national teams.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Copenhagen (loan)||2003–04||Danish Superliga||9||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||10||0|
|Stoke City (loan)||2003–04||First Division||13||1||1||0||0||0||0||0||14||1|
|Brøndby (loan)||2004–05||Danish Superliga||22||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||22||0|
|Vitória Guimarães (loan)||2005–06||Primeira Liga||28||1||1||0||0||0||6||0||35||1|
|Hansa Rostock (loan)||2008–09||2. Bundesliga||13||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||14||0|
|Silkeborg IF||2011–12||Danish Superliga||3||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||3||0|
|Hapoel Ramat Gan||2012–13||Israeli Premier League||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||1||0|
|Songkhla United||2014||Thai League 1||27||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||27||0|
- Svärd profile at ZeroZero.pt Archived 29 January 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- Sebastian Svärd Player Profile[permanent dead link]
- "Sebastian Svard". Arsenal.com. Archived from the original on 16 March 2017.
- "Gunners' reserves sink Grimsby". The Guardian.com.
- "Arsenal end Oxford dream". BBC. 13 February 2003. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Sunderland 1–1 Stoke". BBC. 16 March 2004. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "Arsenal 3-1 Man Utd". BBC.co.uk.
- "Brøndby IF lejer Sebastian Svärd". Brondby.com (in Danish).
- "Svärd close to Portugal move". Sky Sports.com.
- "Svard leaves Arsenal". Sky Sports.com.
- "Tactical Formation". Football-Lineups.com. Retrieved 2 March 2007.
- "Vertrag mit Sebastian Svärd aufgelöst". Borussia.de (in German).
- "Roda JC versterkt zich met Sebastian Svärd". Roda JC.nl (in Dutch).
- "Sebastian Svard signs for Wycombe Wanderers". BBC Sport. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Sebastian Svard". footballdatabase.eu. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- "S. Svärd". Soccerway. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- "Sebastian Svärd » Club matches". worldfootball.net. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- "Sebastian Svard". Soccerbase. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- "Bundesliga Preview: M'gladbach – Werder Bremen". Goal.com.
- "Borussia Monchengladbach 2007/08 Season". Fussball Daten.de.
- Rud henter Sebastian Svärd til Island, bold.dk, 11 January 2016