Sebhat in 2009.
ስብሐት ለአብ ገብረ እግዚአብሔር
Adwa, Tigray Province, Ethiopia
|Died||February 20, 2012 (aged 75–76)|
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
|Language||Tigrigna, Amharic, English, French|
|Notable works||ትኩሳት (Fever)|
ሌቱም አይነጋልኝ (Endless Night)
ሰባተኛው መላክ (The Seventh Angel)
|Relatives||Tewolde Berhan Gebre Egziabher|
Sebhat-Leab Gebre-Egziabher (Tigrinya: ስብሐት ለአብ ገብረ እግዚአብሔር; 1936 – 20 February 2012) was an Ethiopian writer from Tigray. He is famous for pioneering the naturalist writing style in Amharic. His writing style was not constrained by the traditional Ethiopian writing style nor orthodox syntax. Despite using simple words and seemingly light prose, Sebhat's concepts are highly sophisticated and philosophical.
Sebhat originally intended to be a librarian. He visited Washington in 1960 and stayed there a year. At that time he was intending to write in English. He decided however that Amharic is better suited for his subject matter. He later visited France and received an award from UNESCO.
Sebhat published works of fiction and non fiction in French and Amharic. Some of his works have been translated into English. He also worked as a journalist and columnist for the Ethiopian Herald, Addis Zemen, Menen, and other magazines and newspapers.
- ሌቱም አይነጋልኝ Dawn Yet Not
- ትኩሳት Tekusat (Fever), 1997 (romance)
- ሰባተኛው መላክ Säbatägnaw Mälak (The 7th Angel), 1999 (romance)
- እግረ፡ መንገድ Egrä Mängäd (Along the way), 2003
- ማስታወሻ Mastawäsha (Notes), 2001
- አምስት ስድስት ሰባት (Five, Six, Seven)
- የፍቅር ሻማዎች Love Candles
- Seeds and other stories, African Sun Publishing. Aventures, 2004 - ISBN 1-883701-03-1 retold by Wendy Kindred
- Les Nuits d'Addis-Abeba, Paris, Actes Sud coll. Aventures, 2004 - ISBN 2-7427-4907-1, Translated by the author and Francis Falceto; Original title: ሌቱም፡ አይነጋልኝ, I will not see the end of the night, 2004.
- "Letum Aynegalign
- Ethiopia - Paulos Milkias - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. 2011-05-18. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Seeds and other stories Archived 2010-06-20 at the Wayback Machine, AfricanMarket.com, accessed March 2010
- "Les Nuits d'Addis-Abeba : Sheb Gebre-Egziabher : Livres". Amazon.fr. Retrieved 2012-02-21.