Seble-Hiwot Wagaw, Ph.D. is an organic chemist and senior leader at AbbVie pharmaceuticals outside Chicago, IL.
Background and Education
Wagaw was born in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and emigrated to the United States in 1974. Her father, Teshome Gebremichael Wagaw, was an educator and policymaker with the United Nations. She is one of three children, with an older brother and sister. She received her Bachelor's and MS degrees in Chemistry from the University of Michigan in 1994, and a Ph.D. in organic chemistry with Stephen L. Buchwald at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1999. Her research in the Buchwald lab utilized chiral complexes of Palladium to forge new carbon-nitrogen bonds on Aryl rings.
As a Senior Director for process research and R&D at Abbott Laboratories (later AbbVie) for her entire career, Wagaw has published research on enantiomerically enriched lead molecules using Pybox ligands. She has led exploration into new technologies for her process group, including explorations of flow chemistry and commercial-scale electrochemistry.
She is on the advisory board for Asymchem and co-founded the Cross-industry Women's chemical process group.
Awards and Recognition
- 2020 - Keynote speaker, CERM2020
- 2015 - Samuel M. McElvain seminar, University of Wisconsin
- 2013 - American Chemical Society WCC Rising Stars Award
- 2004 - Women of Color Research investigators
- 1995 - Ford Foundation pre-doctoral fellowship, MIT
- "Seble-Hiwot Wagaw | Ann Arbor District Library". aadl.org. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- "Asymchem Laboratories(Tianjin) Co., Ltd". www.asymchem.com. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- "Events | U-M LSA Chemistry". lsa.umich.edu. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- Barnes, David M.; Ji, Jianguo; Fickes, Michael G.; Fitzgerald, Michael A.; King, Steven A.; Morton, Howard E.; Plagge, Frederick A.; Preskill, Margo; Wagaw, Seble H.; Wittenberger, Steven J.; Zhang, Ji (2002-11-01). "Development of a Catalytic Enantioselective Conjugate Addition of 1,3-Dicarbonyl Compounds to Nitroalkenes for the Synthesis of Endothelin-A Antagonist ABT-546. Scope, Mechanism, and Further Application to the Synthesis of the Antidepressant Rolipram". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 124 (44): 13097–13105. doi:10.1021/ja026788y. ISSN 0002-7863.
- "Amping up the pharma lab: Drug companies explore the potential of electrochemistry". Chemical & Engineering News. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- CERM (Feb 2, 2020). "Pittsburgh ACS Section - CERM 2020" (PDF).
- "WCC Names Rising Stars | Chemical & Engineering News". cen.acs.org. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- Group, Career Communications (2004-09 - 2004-10). Science Spectrum. Career Communications Group. Check date values in:
- "1995 Ford Foundation Fellowships". www8.nationalacademies.org. Retrieved 2020-07-09.