|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
A second-hand shop is a shop which sells goods that are not new.
There are various types of second-hand shop, generally specialising in a particular type of merchandise.
- Antique shop - sells the same type of goods, either of better quality or with rarity value, consequently charging much higher prices. The distinction between junk and antiques is not always clear-cut.
- Charity shop - similar to a junk shop but set up to fund a specific charity. These tend to specialise in clothes. The quality of the clothes donated for sale depends on the surrounding area. In the United States, these are called thrift stores.
- Consignment - consignment shop is the North American term for a second-hand shop.
- Give-away shop - everything is given away at no cost. Some operate as swap shops and require the customer to donate merchandise.
- Junk shop - sells all kinds of old goods. The best junk shops are piled high to encourage browsing and bargain hunting. These shops also sell low-quality antiques.
- Surplus store - often sells military surplus supplies.
- Used bookstore - sells used books and other publications. Second-hand bookshops are a mainstay of book towns.
- Office furniture shops selling mainly used goods are common, but lack a distinctive name.
- Vintage clothing shop - often a source of good quality garments.
- Used cars - Pre-owned cars with variable quality and price
People will sell used goods right in front of their home in what is called a "garage sale". The products would be set up in front of the garage.
Second Hand Shops
- Goodwill Industries - Run Goodwill Stores throughout North America as well as 16 other countries.
- The Salvation Army - Christian Based thrift store operator that sells second hand items.
- Oxfam bookshops - second hand bookstore in the U.K.
- Value Village - second hand shops in the U.S.
Online Second Hand or Thrift Shops
- eBay - Website that allows people to sell new or used products
- Craigslist - Website that allows people to sell or give away goods and services, primarily targeted to the local community.
- Thredup - Second hand shopping website.
- Schoola - Secondhand Shopping site that donates money to schools.
|This article about retailing is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|