Second Amendment sanctuary
Second Amendment sanctuary refers to resolutions adopted by some jurisdictions in the United States to not expend resources to enforce certain gun control measures perceived as violative of the Second Amendment. The resolutions oppose emergency protection orders, enforcement of gun background checks, and red flag laws that permit police or family members to petition a state court to order the temporary removal of firearms from a person.
Examples of the resolutions include the Second Amendment Preservation Ordinance in Oregon and the Second Amendment Protection Act in Kansas. The "sanctuary" nomenclature is an allusion to sanctuary cities, jurisdictions that have resolved to not assist federal enforcement of immigration laws against illegal aliens.
On July 9, 2010, Governor Sean Parnell signed the Alaska Firearms Freedom Act (HB 186), declaring that certain firearms and accessories are exempt from federal regulation. The text can be read here. On September 10, 2013, Governor Parnell signed HB 69, which amended and expanded HB 186. The text can be read here.
- Commerce City
- Custer (plus Silver Cliff Town)
- El Paso (plus Monument Town)
- Fremont (plus Cañon City)
- Kit Carson
- Las Animas
- Moffat (plus Craig City)
- Rio Blanco
- Rio Grande
- Weld (plus Milliken Town)
30 out of 33 county sheriffs have signed a letter by the New Mexico Sheriffs Association vowing to not assist in enforcing certain gun control.
- Chaves (plus Roswell City)
- De Baca
- Eddy (plus Carlsbad City)
- Otero (plus Alamogordo City)
- Rio Arriba (plus Española City)
- San Juan (plus Bloomfield City, Farmington City, and Kirtland Town)
The SAFE Act was passed in 2013. After passage, New York counties started passing resolutions opposing the SAFE Act. There are currently 52 out of 62 counties with such resolutions. The New York State Sheriffs Association sued to block the law.
- Ferry (plus Republic City)
- Grays Harbor
- Pend Oreille
- PENZENSTADLER, NICK (May 20, 2019). "NRA helps sheriffs fight gun laws in Second Amendment 'sanctuaries'". USA TODAY. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Amendment, Rob Taylor State Coordinator Committee to Preserve the Second. "Viewpoint: Second Amendment Preservation Ordinance". St. Helens Chronicle. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
- Maharrey, Mike (2013-04-17). "Kansas Governor Signs Second Amendment Protection Act". Tenth Amendment Center. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- CNN, Andrea Diaz and Marlena Baldacci. "In rural Illinois, officials are creating 'sanctuary' counties to protect gun owners from new laws". CNN. Retrieved 2019-02-22.
- http://www.washingtontimes.com, The Washington Times. "'Second Amendment Sanctuary County' movement spreads in New Mexico". The Washington Times. Retrieved 2019-02-22.
- "Illinois county votes to become 'sanctuary county' for gun owners". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2019-02-22.
- "Defiant U.S. sheriffs push gun sanctuaries, imitating liberals on..." Reuters. 2019-03-04. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- "Alaska State Legislature". www.akleg.gov. Retrieved 2019-06-09.
- "HB 186" (PDF).
- "Alaska State Legislature". www.akleg.gov. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "Alaska House passes bill challenging future federal gun restrictions". Anchorage Daily News. 2013-02-25. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "HB 69" (PDF).
- Boldin, Michael. "New Idaho law effectively nullifies future federal gun control". Tenth Amendment Center Blog. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "SENATE BILL 1332 – Idaho State Legislature". Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "SB 1332" (PDF).
- "HOUSE JOINT MEMORIAL 3 – Idaho State Legislature". Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "HJM 003" (PDF).
- Boldin, Michael. "Kansas Governor Sam Brownback Signs 2nd Amendment Protection Act into Law". Tenth Amendment Center Blog. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "SB102" (PDF).
- "HB0095 - Wyoming Firearms Freedom Act-2". www.wyoleg.gov. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- News-Herald, Daisy Nelson Today's. "City of Needles declares itself a Second Amendment sanctuary city". Havasu News. Retrieved 2019-06-15.
- Story, Krystal (2019-03-03). "Red flag bill gets preliminary approval, counties push back". KRDO. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- Thursday, Jim Mimiaga Journal Staff Writer; Feb. 28; ago, 2019 7:39 PM Updated 3 hours 17 minutes. "Montezuma commissioners declare county a gun sanctuary". The Journal. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
- "Weld County declares themselves a 'second amendment sanctuary county'". KUSA. Retrieved 2019-03-09.
- firstname.lastname@example.org, ELLIE MULDER. "El Paso County prepared to challenge red-flag gun control bill, Sheriff Bill Elder says". Colorado Springs Gazette. Retrieved 2019-03-09.
- Story, Krystal (2019-03-07). "El Paso County considering 2nd Amendment Sanctuary resolution". KRDO. Retrieved 2019-03-09.
- Ammoland (2019-03-08). "Colorado Counties Declaring Second Amendment Sanctuary Status At Lightening Speed". AmmoLand.com. Retrieved 2019-03-09.
- "In Anticipation Of Red Flag Law, Colorado Counties Declared Gun Rights Sanctuaries En Masse". Rally for our Rights. 2019-03-06. Retrieved 2019-03-09.
- "More Than Half Colorado Counties Say WE WILL NOT COMPLY To Red Flag Law Should It Pass". Rally for our Rights. 2019-03-13. Retrieved 2019-03-22.
- "Colorado Becomes the Next Front With 2A Sanctuary Counties". gunrightswatch.com. Retrieved 2019-03-26.
- "These Colorado counties have declared themselves '2nd Amendment sanctuaries' as Red Flag bill progresses". KUSA. Retrieved 2019-03-26.
- Beckman, Abigail. "Counties Declare Second Amendment Sanctuary Status As Legislature Debates Red Flag Bill". www.krcc.org. Retrieved March 9, 2019.
- email@example.com, RACHEL RILEY. "Monument declared 'Second Amendment Preservation Town'". Colorado Springs Gazette. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- News-Democrat, KELSEY LANDIS Belleville. "26 Illinois counties have passed 'gun sanctuary' resolutions. Are they constitutional?". Herald-Review.com. Retrieved 2019-02-22.
- "Number of 'gun sanctuary' counties has increased though new gun laws haven't advanced". bnd. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- "Referendum results for St. Clair, Madison, Monroe and Randolph counties". bnd. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- "All Eighteen Gun Sanctuary Resolutions Passed!". gunrightswatch.com. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
- Rosenberg-Douglas, Katherine (April 17, 2019). "Second Amendment 'Sanctuary County' Movement Expands as Organizers Take Aim at New Gun Laws". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- "Two More Illinois Counties Pass Second Amendment Resolutions". gunrightswatch.com. Retrieved 2019-05-16.
- Journal, Jon BolducSun (2019-05-29). "Paris selectmen adopt Second Amendment Sanctuary Town resolution". Lewiston Sun Journal. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Second Amendment sanctuary?". sunnysidesun.com. Retrieved 2019-02-22.
- "Lyon, Douglas Counties approve Second Amendment Resolutions". www.nevadaappeal.com. Retrieved 2019-03-22.
- "Eureka County, NV Passes 2A Resolution; Full Nevada Map". gunrightswatch.com. Retrieved 2019-05-16.
- "Nevada Sheriffs Unanimously Refuse Universal Background Checks". gunrightswatch.com. Retrieved 2019-06-16.
- "Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham: 'Fear-mongering' in 2nd Amendment sanctuary counties". Carlsbad Current Argus. Retrieved 2019-03-02.
- "New Mexico 2nd Amendment Sanctuary Counties - Full Map". gunrightswatch.com. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- "Resolution highlights divisions over gun control in Taos County". The Taos News. Retrieved 2019-03-22.
- Media, KRQE (2019-03-21). "Taos County repeals 'second amendment sanctuary' declaration". KRQE. Retrieved 2019-03-22.
- Gershman, Jacob; Frosch, Dan (2019-03-10). "Rural Sheriffs Defy New Gun Measures". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2019-03-11.
- Penn, Alison. "City stands with county as second amendment sanctuary | Roswell Daily Record". Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- "Some sheriffs say they won't enforce state gun laws".
- "Carlsbad declared Second Amendment 'sanctuary city'". Carlsbad Current Argus. Retrieved 2019-03-23.
- jalrecordnewspaper (2019-02-28). "Lea County Commissioners Approves Second Amendment Sanctuary Status for The County". The Jal Record. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
- gallupsun. "Board of Commissioners approves resolution to declare McKinley County a Second Amendment Sanctuary". Gallup Sun. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- "Alamogordo declared Second Amendment Sanctuary city". Alamogordo Daily News. Retrieved 2019-03-15.
- "Second Amendment sanctuary county resolutions spread to cities". Farmington Daily Times. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- Star, Mark Boshnack Staff WriterThe Daily. "Local sheriff: I won't enforce gun law". The Daily Star. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "Is There a Gun Rights Sanctuary Movement Brewing in New York?". gunrightswatch.com. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- "'Gun Sanctuary' movement spreads to NC as county adopts plan to thwart gun control". charlotteobserver. Retrieved 2019-03-22.
- King/WLOS, Kimberly (2019-07-04). "North Carolina county declares itself second amendment sanctuary". WCYB. Retrieved 2019-07-06.
- World, DEVAN PATEL The. "Coos County Second Amendment Preservation Ordinance passes by wide margin". Coos Bay World. Retrieved 2019-02-22.
- "Oregon County Set to Become Second Amendment Sanctuary". www.thenewamerican.com. Retrieved 2019-02-22.
- November 06, Shane Dixon Kavanaugh | Posted; November 06, 2018 at 09:16 PM | Updated; PM, 2018 at 09:28. "Militia groups help gun rights measure pass in 8 Oregon counties". OregonLive.com. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- Field, Andy. "Oregon Counties Float Ordinances To Limit State Gun Control Laws". www.opb.org. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
- "Rhode Island Second Amendment Sanctuary Towns Arise". gunrightswatch.com. Retrieved 2019-05-16.
- Mooney, Tom. "Hopkinton joins Burrillville as a sanctuary for gun rights". providencejournal.com. Retrieved 2019-05-16.
- "NACo | Find a County". web.archive.org. 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2019-05-16.
- "Blount County is now a Second Amendment sanctuary county". wbir.com. Retrieved 2019-05-19.
- "East Tennessee - The Unlikely New 2A Sanctuary Counties Front". gunrightswatch.com. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Greene Co. votes against becoming a 'Second Amendment sanctuary,' passes alternative version of measure". WATE. 2019-07-16. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- "Texas Border County Passes GOA-Backed Second Amendment Sanctuary Resolution | Gun Owners of America". Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- "West Texas Counties, Under Siege, Declare Second Amendment Sanctuaries". gunrightswatch.com. Retrieved 2019-07-24.
- firstname.lastname@example.org 981-3423, Dan Casey. "CASEY: Virginia's first "sanctuary" — for people who love gun rights". Roanoke Times. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- Gaydos, Ryan (2019-02-11). "Several sheriffs in Washington state counties refuse to enforce new gun-law measure". Fox News. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- Wilson, Jason (2019-02-22). "Washington state: at least 20 county sheriffs refuse to enforce new gun laws". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- "Here's the Full List of Counties That Won't Uphold I-1639 in Washington". gunrightswatch.com. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- "Columbia County Sheriff joins I-1639 opposition | The Statesman Examiner". www.statesmanexaminer.com. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- Sentinel, The Goldendale. "22 of state's 39 counties won't enforce I-1639". The Goldendale Sentinel. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- Gaydos, Ryan (2019-02-11). "Several sheriffs in Washington state counties refuse to enforce new gun-law measure". Fox News. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- Springer, Dan (2018-11-28). "Sanctuary city for gun rights? Washington state city mulls law to protect 2nd Amendment". Fox News. Retrieved 2019-03-04.