Second Church of Christ, Scientist (Los Angeles)
Second Church of Christ, Scientist / The Art of Living Center Los Angeles
Up for sale in 2008
|Location||946 W. Adams Blvd., Los Angeles, California|
|Area||0.6 acres (0.24 ha)|
|Architect||Alfred H. Rosenheim; engineer: Albert C. Martin|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||87000576|
|Added to NRHP||April 02, 1987|
|Designated LAHCM||July 17, 1968,|
Second Church of Christ, Scientist is a historic former Christian Science church building located at 948 West Adams Boulevard, in the West Adams district of Los Angeles, California. It is now the Art of Living Center Los Angeles.
On July 17, 1968, the City of Los Angeles designated the building a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument.
The church was used as the courthouse in the crime drama Matlock and as a location for other film and TV projects.
The Art of Living Foundation
In late 2009, the Church property was sold to the non-profit Art of Living Foundation. It was restored and is used as a community center, speaking and music venue, and is a center for the Foundation's service work and breathing, meditation, and other programs. While the Art of Living Foundation has been active in Southern California since the late 1980s, it officially opened in this location on April 14, 2010.
National register listing
- Second Church of Christ, Scientist (added 1987 - Building - #87000576)
- 946 W. Adams Blvd., Los Angeles
- Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
- Architect, builder, or engineer: Albert C. Martin, Sr., Alfred Rosenheim
- Architectural Style: Classical Revival
- Area of Significance: Architecture, Religion
- Period of Significance: 1900-1924
- Owner: Private
- Historic Function: Religion
- Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
- Current Function: Non-profit educational and humanitarian
- Current Sub-function: Community service, personal development, trauma relief—501(c)(3)
- First Church of Christ, Scientist (Los Angeles, California)
- List of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments in South Los Angeles
- List of Registered Historic Places in Los Angeles
- Second Church of Christ, Scientist (disambiguation)
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Los Angeles Department of City Planning (2007-09-07). "Historic - Cultural Monuments (HCM) Listing: City Declared Monuments" (PDF). City of Los Angeles. Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- National Register listing
- City of Los Angeles listing with picture
- Big Orange Landmarks listing with many pictures
- Realtor's listing
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Second Church of Christ, Scientist (Los Angeles).|