A Second Lady (for females) or Second Gentleman (for males) is a title sometimes used in reference to the spouse of a vice president or a lieutenant governor, and if no office of vice president or lieutenant governor exists, of a prime minister or premier of a republic, and to the deputy prime minister or deputy premier of a monarchy, styled relative to the title of First Lady, the wife of a president or governor of a republic or of a prime minister or premier of a monarchy. Although no country grants any legal power to second ladies, their duties often include the following:
- hosting during receptions at the vice presidential/prime ministerial/deputy prime ministerial residence
- presiding over selected welfare institutions
- accompanying the spouse in official travels
- various ceremonial duties.
- Azerbaijan: Ilham Aliyev (Relative to First Lady and Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva)
- Estonia: Karin Ratas
- Guatemala: Elizabeth Cortés
- Ghana: Samira Bawumia
- Israel: Sara Netanyahu (Relative to First Lady Nechama Rivlin and Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu)
- Italy: Emanuela Mauro
- Japan: Chikako Asō
- Philippines: Aika Robredo
- Russia: Svetlana Medvedeva
- South Africa: Tshepo Motsepe
- Taiwan: Luo Feng-ping
- United States: Karen Pence
- "Second Lady Announces Kristan King Nevins as Chief of Staff". whitehouse.gov. 7 February 2017.
- "Mrs. Karen Pence". whitehouse.gov. 24 December 2014.
- "Remarks of Dr. Jill Biden at the White House Convening on Operation Educate the Educators". archives.gov. 13 April 2016.
- Blackwood, Harris (7 January 2007). "Georgia's Second Lady". Gainesville Times. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- Sarah Baird (September 10, 2008). "Lieutenant Governor Recognizes National Cervical Cancer Awareness Week". Kentucky.gov.
- "Rep. Black Honors Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey on Upcoming Retirement from State Senate". Rep. Black's Office.
- "State's First Female Lieutenant Governor Lucy Baxley Dies at 78". alreporter.com. 17 October 2016.
|This article about politics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|