Secret (South Korean band)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Secret at the Kpop World Festival (From L-R): Jung Hana, Han Sunhwa, Jun Hyoseong, Song Jieun
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
Secret (Hangul: 시크릿) is a South Korean K-pop girl group formed by TS Entertainment in 2009. It consists of four members and released their first single in 2009; they released a full-length studio album in 2011.
- 1 Career
- 2 Members
- 3 Artistry
- 4 Endorsements and other activities
- 5 Concerts/Tours
- 6 Discography
- 7 Awards
- 8 References
- 9 External links
2009–2010: "Magic" and Madonna
The documentary Secret Story which aired on Mnet introduced Secret to the public. The show chronicled the debut process of the members and aired their invitation-only debut showcase, which took place on September 29, 2009. On October 13, 2009, Secret officially debuted with the release of the music video of "I Want You Back", their first single. Two days later, on October 15, 2009, they had their first live stage on M! Countdown. Secret participated in the Master of Study OST with the song "Friends" which was released on January 2010.
On March 31, 2010, Secret revealed the music video for "Magic", the title track of their debut mini album Secret Time. Secret had their comeback performance for "Magic" on M! Countdown on April 8, 2010. The song peaked at No. 5 on the Music Bank K-Chart. The music video quickly reached one million views on video sharing sites such as YouTube and Cyworld, and the "Suspender Dance" which appeared in the video, gained popularity amongst netizens.
Secret released their second mini album titled Madonna on August 12, 2010. The music video for the title track, also named "Madonna", was released on August 11, 2010. Kang Jiwon and Kim Kibum, the composers who wrote "Madonna" highlighted that the inspiration behind the song is about living with confidence by becoming an icon in this generation, like the American singer Madonna. Just like their previous single "Magic", the music video for "Madonna" reached one million views on video sharing sites such as YouTube and Cyworld. "Madonna" was better received than "Magic", topping every major online music chart within two weeks and peaking at No. 1 on the Gaon Chart. The song also won the Main Award at the 20th Seoul Music Awards. On December 9, 2010, Secret attended the 25th Golden Disk Awards, and won the Newcomer Award.
2011–2012: Moving in Secret, Japanese debut and Poison
Secret released the single "Shy Boy" in January 2011. On January 13, Secret won their very first music show award on M! Countdown. Secret also managed to stay at number one on Music Bank for three consecutive weeks. During that timespan, Secret also won a Mutizen award on Inkigayo. They released their second single album, Starlight Moonlight on June 1, 2011. The song won Secret their second "Mutizen" on Inkigayo with the song. On August 3, 2011, the group released their first single in Japan, "Madonna", which debuted at number nine on the Oricon charts.
On October 18, 2011, Secret released their first studio album, Moving in Secret. "Shy Boy" was remade to serve as the title track on their First Mini Album in Japan. On November 16, 2011, Secret released their first Japanese mini album, Shy Boy. They have attended the KBEE (Korea Brand & Entertainment Expo) in Paris, France, on December 1 to 3, 2011.
In February 2012, Secret released their 2nd Japanese single entitled "So Much For Goodbye". On February 22, they won two "Singers of The Year" awards at the Gaon Chart Awards for "Shy Boy" and "Starlight Moonlight". In March, the group held their first head-lining tour in Japan named "Secret 1st Japan Tour". It took place in Osaka on March 5, Nagoya on March 7 and Tokyo on March 8. Secret released their 3rd Japanese single "Twinkle Twinkle" on June 13. Twinkle Twinkle was used as the Ending Theme Song of the Naruto spin-off, "Naruto SD: Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals". The group released their first studio album in Japan named "Welcome to Secret Time" on August 22. The Japanese version of "Love is Move" served as the lead single. The album also included their Korean tracks “Madonna” and “Shy Boy“, the Japanese versions of “Love is Move” and “Starlight Moonlight“, and two original Japanese singles “So Much for Goodbye” and “Twinkle Twinkle“.
In September, Secret released the single "Poison" in South Korea. The song was an "upbeat dance track", written and produced by Kang Ji Won and Kim Ki Bum whom they previously worked with their previous hit singles. According to TS Entertainment, “Poison" had "unique characteristics and colors of Secret but will have a change in concept from the cute and friendly image [shown in the past] to a sexy and feminine concept.”
The single "Talk That", was released on December 4. It was produced by Shinsadong Tiger, whom has previously worked with their hit track "Magic". The music video for "Talk That" was directed by Zanybros' Hong Won-ki. "Talk That" received generally positive reviews from critics, most of whom had praised the song for its mature musical style and concept as opposed to their previous singles.
On the night of December 11, 2012, Secret was involved in a car accident. Hyoseong, Jieun and Sunhwa received only a few scratches and knee pain, but Hana suffered broken ribs and a bruised lung. On December 27, Han Sunhwa and B.A.P's Yoo Youngjae teamed up to released a digital single entitled "Everything is Pretty" commemorating as a present for Secret and B.A.P fans.
2013–present: Letter from Secret, Gift From Secret and Secret Summer
In January 2013, Secret continued to perform "Talk That" on various music and award shows without Hana. Hana ended her hiatus and officially joined Secret when she performed at the 22nd Seoul Music Awards and won a bonsang award. On March 29, Secret held their solo concert in Singapore, performing in front of 5,000 fans at the Marina Bay Sands Convention Hall. Subsequently, Secret's fourth mini-album, entitled Letter from SECRET, with the song "YooHoo" as its title track, was released on April 30. In June, Secret signed with Kiss Entertainment for future Japan activities. They also moved from Sony Music to Universal Music Group Japan (Universal D Sub-Label). On December 9, the group's third single album, Gift From Secret, featuring the song "I Do I Do" as its lead single, was released on December 9.
In mid-January 2014, Secret released the Japanese version of their Korean single "I Do I Do" along with a music video, which marks their first Japanese release with Kiss Entertainment. On May 29, Tower Records Japan revealed that Secret will release a single album in Japan on July 23, 2014.[needs update] In August, Secret released their 5th mini album Secret Summer with the song "I'm in Love" as its lead single.
Musical styles and theme
One of Secret's hit songs that uses retro sound with live instruments. The song lyrically tells that women shouldn't be taken for granted because her affection towards her lover might change instantly.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Retro is the main musical style of the majority of Secret's singles, although the group has channeled other genres such as Pop, Dance, R&B, and Hip-Hop. Secret were originally formed with an intention to be an RnB and Hip-Hop group as seen in their debut single, "I Want You Back". As Seoulbeats wrote, "Originally debuting with an urban RnB concept, the girls of Secret have transformed themselves into the queens of retro ever since their breakthrough hits with “Magic” and “Madonna”. Furthermore, with Wonder Girls recently vacating their long-held affair with retro in favor of a more fresh and futuristic(?) approach, Secret lays claim as the next best group to have established a retro identity." Catherine Deen of Yahoo! Philippines shared its same sentiments and said that the group is known "for its unique ability to take retro music and make it their own." While reviewing "Love is Move", Park Hyunmin of enewsWorld commented that Secret is "known for its pop-heavy beats and easy-to-follow dance moves". Hyunmin further added that "Secret's main appeal is its retro beat and sexy choreography".
Secret's output particularly with their work with Kang Ji Won and Kim Ki Bum makes use of live instruments such as brass, saxophones and drums with the incorporation of synthesizers and electric guitars. While reviewing "Poison", Seoulbeats commented "Furthermore, the composition [of "Poison"] contains a very fitting saxophone hook along with recognizable brass and drum instrumentals that have become the trademark of Secret and their in-house composers, Kang Ji-won and Kim Ki-bum, who have produced all of Secret’s retro hits. Secret’s secret formula for success lies not only in their determined execution of one particular style, but their consistent development of a concept that suits them very well." Seoulbeats concludes that "Secret has carved out its conceptual niche in the K-pop market by developing a distinct and consistent style, and thus they are now in a position to elevate their success and recognition in the industry. While most other groups undergo drastic changes over time to keep current fans interested and to attract new fans, Secret clearly benefits from the advantages of continuity. What other groups or idols have carved out a stylistic niche over the years?"
Secret is also known for their transitions to cute and the girl-next-door image through songs like "Shy Boy" and "Starlight Moonlight" from the sexy and powerful image through "Magic", "Madonna" and "Poison" while still retaining retro as the main theme for their sound. Although a commercial success with "Magic" and "Madonna" peaking at number two and number one respectively on the Gaon Charts, Secret failed to win a first place award on any televised South Korean weekly music shows such as M! Countdown, Music Bank and Inkigayo until "Shy Boy". Seoulbeats wrote, "Secret embarked on an aegyo phase in their following release of “Shy Boy" although with much voiced displeasure from the members. Despite the radical change in their personalities, their style remained consistent in staying with and expanding upon their retro identity. The song became a major success as Secret traded in their sex appeal for a heavy dose of aegyo, resulting in much hardware for their chart-topping song." Secret kept its cute imagery with their following single "Starlight Moonlight" until the release of "Love is Move" and "Poison". During their promotions with "Poison", Jun Hyoseong commented "Secret has always been known as a cute group that appeals to the general public. This time, however, we′ve escaped that and showed off our unique charms. Our visuals have also changed for the sexy." Jun added, "We′re actually closer to Shy Boy in real life."
Endorsements and other activities
The group's popularity and success in Korea has led to endorsement deals such as Gueoseu Chicken, Googims mall, Grand Mer(Online Fising Game), Nike, Nene Chicken, Good Day Soju and Parkga among others. Sunhwa became more active in acting, modelling and frequently participating in variety shows. In 2009, she became a fixed cast on a popular variety show called Invincible Youth.
In December 2010, Secret and the Korean Non-Life Insurance Association (KNIA) teamed up to film a Commercial Film in a Gangnam studio to share their message of concern against drunk driving. With Secret, they were also appointed as ambassadors in campaigns and events such as The Seoul Competition Movie Content 'Streamed Seoul 2009' Goodwill Ambassador(2009), The 18th National Women's Soccer Tournament ambassador(2010), The Eco-Project environmental campaign 'URBAN FARM'(2010), The 8th International Paralympic Skills Competition(2010) and others. On December 28, 2011, Secret were appointed as PR ambassadors for the ‘Korea Consumers Forum’. After the group filmed the music video of "YooHoo" in Saipan during the month of April in 2013, the tourism board of Northern Mariana Islands named Secret as their newest tourism ambassador for 2013. Secret joined fellow South Korean artist Psy as their new tourism ambassador who joined in 2012.
On January 10, 2013, KBS revealed that Han Sunhwa would make her acting debut on prime-time television with Advertisement Genius, Lee Tae Baek as Lee So Ran, an aspiring actress and the younger sister of Lee Tae Baek played by actor Jin Goo.
- Secret 1st Japan Tour "Secret Time" (2012)
- Secret Live in SINGAPORE (2013)
In 2010, Secret released their hit single "Magic" which was nominated at the 12th Mnet Asian Music Awards for Best Dance Performance by a Female Group. The same year, the group released their number one hit single "Madonna" which won them a Bonsang award at the 20th Seoul Music Awards. With the success of "Magic" and "Madonna", the group received the "Newcomer award" at the 25th Golden Disk Awards.
"Shy Boy" earned the group's first win in Mnet's M! Countdown and SBS's Inkigayo. The song was their first Triple Crown in KBS's Music Bank and garnered them multiple awards and nominations. The song was nominated for Song of the Year and Best Dance Performance by a Female Group at the 13th Mnet Asian Music Awards. The song won a Bonsang award at the 21st Seoul Music Awards and at the 3rd Melon Music Awards. The song also won the Songs of the Year Award at the 1st Gaon Chart Awards for the month of January. Following the success of "Shy Boy", Secret released Starlight Moonlight in June 2011. The song earned them their second win in Inkigayo and won them a Digital Bonsang award at the 26th Golden Disk Award. In 2012, "Starlight Moonlight" won the Songs of the Year Award in the 1st Gaon Chart Awards for the month of June.
- "Secret Story". Mnet. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "Secret Showcase Coverage". Retrieved January 10, 2012.
- "About TS Entertainment – History of TS Ent". TS Entertainment. Retrieved May 13, 2012.
- "JQT and Secret debuts on M! Countdown". Allkpop. 6theory Media. October 15, 2009. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- "시크릿, 베일 벗은 신곡 ‘Magic’ 1일 온라인 음원 공개". GOODDAY ENS. April 1, 2010. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- Yum, Yeong Jun. "Rookie group Secret's new song, "Magic", reached 1 million views in Korea in 5 days". Segye News. Segye. Retrieved September 3, 2012.
- "Tracklist revealed for Secret’s comeback album, ‘Madonna’". Allkpop. 6theory Media. August 4, 2010. Retrieved May 18, 2012.
- "Winners from the ’25th Golden Disk Awards’ revealed!". Allkpop. 6theory Media. Retrieved February 26, 2012.
- "SECRET releases full audio for "Starlight Moonlight"!". Allkpop. 6theory Media. Retrieved June 23, 2011.
- "SECRET unveils MV for "Starlight Moonlight" + limited-edition badge!". Allkpop. 6theory Media. Retrieved June 23, 2011.
- "SECRET wins Inkigayo Mutizen + other performances". Allkpop. 6theory Media. Retrieved June 23, 2011.
- "NEW SINGLE 2/29 リリース！ (2012.1.15)". Sony Music Associated Records Inc. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Park, Young (February 22, 2012). "소시·아이유 등 14팀, 가온K팝어워드 '가수상'(종합)". News Naver (in Korean). NHN Corp. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- "Winners from the 2012 ‘Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards’". Allkpop. 6theory Media. February 22, 2012. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- 「これくらいのサヨナラ」リリース・イベントの握手会の詳細発表!! . Secret Official Japanese News Website (in Japanese). Sony Music Associated Records Inc. February 15, 2012. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- "Secret、4枚目のシングル！". LAWSON HMV Entertainment, Inc. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "SECRET to release their first Japanese album ‘Welcome to SECRET Time’". 6theory Media. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "Secret初の日本盤アルバム、初回盤はDVD付き2仕様" (in Japanese). Natasha Inc. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "Secret Japanese Official Website" (in Japanese). Sony Music Associated Records. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "Secret to release 1st Japanese full length album "Welcome to Secret Time" in August". Koreaboo. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (August 28, 2012). "Secret to Return Sexier Than Ever With ‘Poison’". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved September 7, 2012.
- Smith, Corynn (August 23, 2012). "Secret Scheduled for Mid-September Comeback". MTV Iggy News. Viacom International Inc. Retrieved September 7, 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (November 15, 2012). "Secret to Close Out the Year With a New Single in December". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (November 26, 2012). "Secret Unveils Song Jieun Teaser For ‘Talk That’". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- Peterson, Jacques (December 4, 2012). "Secret Give Good Sad Face in Their "Talk That" Music Video". Pop Dust. Pop Dust Inc. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- Shin, Karen (December 4, 2012). "Secret Sheds Rare Tears for Talk That MV". MTV Iggy. MTV Viacom International Inc. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (December 7, 2012). "Secret’s ‘Talk That’ Promotions to be Aided by a 12-Member Dance Team". Enews World. CJ E&M. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (December 7, 2012). "TS Entertainment makes official announcement on SECRET’s accident". Enews World. CJ E&M. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (December 7, 2012). "Secret to Perform as Three Members Temporarily as Zinger Continues to Recover". Enews World. CJ E&M. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (December 27, 2012). "B.A.P’s Young Jae and Secret’s Han Sunhwa Sing Together in Sweet Duet". Enews World. CJ E&M. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (December 27, 2012). "B.A.P’s Young Jae and Secret’s Han Sunhwa Get Lovey Dovey in ‘Everything’s Pretty’ MV". Enews World. CJ E&M. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "Zinger officially ends her hiatus after SECRET’s car accident". Allkpop. 6theory Media. January 31, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- Lee, Nancy (March 18, 2013). "Secret to Hold Exclusive Concert in Singapore". Enews World. CJ E&M. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (April 25, 2013). "Secret Gets on a Boat and ‘Yoo Hoo’s in New Teaser". Enews World. CJ E&M. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "시크릿(SECRET) 3RD SINGLE ALBUM <GIFT FROM SECRET>". Secret (시크릿). December 1, 2013. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "SECRET confirm their December comeback with announcement of 5th single album 'I Do'". allkpop. November 19, 2013. Retrieved November 19, 2013.
- "Finding Their Niche: Secret’s Not So Secret Formula For Success". Seoulbeats – Music/Idols. SEOULBEATS. October 11, 2012. Retrieved October 21, 2012.
- Deen, Catherine (October 17, 2011). "K-Pop girl group Secret channels Betty Boop in new release". Yahoo!PH, O-Kpop (Yahoo! Southeast Asia). Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Park, HyunMin (October 18, 2011). "Secret Says ′Come On′ with ′Love is MOVE′". enewsWorld (CJ E&M). Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Park, HyunMin (October 19, 2011). "Secret Butting Heads With Girls’ Generation?". enewsWorld (CJ E&M). Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- "Secret Successfully Ends Their Japan Tour". The Seoul Times. The Seoul Times Company. March 8, 2012. Retrieved March 30, 2012.
- Park, HyunMin (October 21, 2012). "Secret Will be Happy to Stay in Second as Long as It's Loved". enewsWorld (CJ E&M). Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "SECRET attends game party for ‘Blade & Soul’ + reveals June comeback". Allkpop. 6theory Media. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- Lee, Dong-hoon (April 22, 2012). 시크릿 "게임 캐릭터와 한 무대..특별한 기분"(인터뷰). Star News (in Korean). STARNEWS. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- "SECRET models for online fishing game, "Grand Mer"". 6theory Media. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- Yoo, Ick – Dong (February 7, 2011). '시크릿', 함께 낚시하러 가실래요?…온라인 게임 '그랑베르' 홍보 촬영 사진 공개. News Nate (in Korean). SK Communications. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- "SECRET and Park Han Byul’s CFs for Nike revealed". 6theory Media. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- Yee, Un Ey (April 6, 2011). 박한별 동방신기 시크릿 기성용 총출동...뭔 일이기에?. News Nate (in Korean). SK Communications. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- "Yoo Jae Suk, SECRET selected as CF models for ‘NeNe Chicken’". 6theory Media. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- Oh, Seon-hye (July 6, 2011). 유재석-시크릿, 네네치킨 광고 모델 발탁 '치킨돌' 계보 이어 [Yoo Jae Suk, SECRET selected as advertising models for ‘NeNe Chicken’]. News Nate (in Korean). SK Communications. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "SECRET chosen as models for soju advertisement". 6theory Media. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- 박가부대, 철판닭갈비 출시에 맞춰 고객 커뮤니케이션 강화 나선다. News Nate (in Korean). SK Communications. November 28, 2011. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- Bak, Geun uk (December 24, 2010). 시크릿, 공익광고 출연 "음주운전 하면 안돼요" [Secret shoots a public service CF against drunk driving]. News Naver (in Korean). NHN Corp. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- "SECRET shoots a public service CF against drunk driving". 6theory Media. December 24, 2010. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- 시크릿, 홍보대사 위촉 "韓소비자로서 참여..영광" (in Korean). Star News. December 28, 2011. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- Syahida Kamarudin (December 30, 2011). "SECRET is Korea Consumers Forum's PR ambassadors". Yahoo! Malaysia News. Yahoo! Southeast Asia Pte Ltd. Retrieved March 24, 2012.
- "‘Secret’ is newest NMI tourism ambassador". Saipan Tribune. May 2, 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Ho, Stewart (January 10, 2013). "Secret’s Han Sunhwa and Dal Shabet’s A Young to Make Acting Debuts Through ‘Advertisement Genius, Lee Tae Baek’". Enews World. CJ E&M. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Secret (South Korean band).|
- Official Japanese website by Universal Music (Japanese)