Secret World Live
|Secret World Live|
|Live album by Peter Gabriel|
|Released||13 September 1994|
|Recorded||16-17 November 1993, Palasport Nuovo, Modena, Italy|
|Genre||Progressive rock, art rock, worldbeat, experimental rock|
Geffen (US & Canada)|
|Peter Gabriel chronology|
Secret World Live is the second live album and tenth album overall by the English rock musician Peter Gabriel, released in 1994. The album was not remastered with the rest of Gabriel's catalogue in 2002. A concert film was released at the same time as the album. Its track listing is the same as the album, save that it omits "Red Rain" and adds "San Jacinto" (7:32) after "Blood of Eden."
It contains a live performance of the song "Across the River," which first appeared on a WOMAD benefit album Music and Rhythm in July 1982, then subsequently on various singles and EPs. This is the only full-length Gabriel album on which the song appears.
All songs written by Peter Gabriel except as noted.
- "Come Talk to Me" – 6:13
- "Steam" – 7:45
- "Across the River" (Stewart Copeland, Gabriel, David Rhodes, L. Shankar) – 6:00
- "Slow Marimbas" – 1:41
- "Shaking the Tree" (Gabriel, Youssou N'Dour) – 9:18
- "Red Rain" – 6:15
- "Blood of Eden" – 6:58
- "Kiss That Frog" – 5:58
- "Washing of the Water" – 4:07
- "Solsbury Hill" – 4:42
- "Digging in the Dirt" – 7:36
- "Sledgehammer" – 4:58
- "Secret World" – 9:10
- "Don't Give Up" – 7:35
- "In Your Eyes" – 11:32
- Peter Gabriel – Lead Vocals, Harmonica, Keyboards, Rainstick
- Manu Katché – Drums
- Tony Levin – Bass, Chapman Stick, Vocals
- David Rhodes – Guitar, Vocals
- Jean-Claude Naimro – Keyboards, Vocals
- Shankar – Violins, Vocals
- Levon Minassian – Doudouk
- Paula Cole – Main Vocals on "Don't Give Up"
- Additional musicians
- Leo Nocentelli - Guitar, Vocals
- Daniel Lanois - Dobro, Telecaster
- Babacar Faye - Djembe
- Assane Thiam - Talking Drum, Tama
- Hossam Ramzy - Surdo
- Tim Green - Tenor Saxophone
- Reggie Houston - Baritone Saxophone
- Renard Poche - Trombone
- Wayne Jackson - Trumpet, Cornet
- Ayub Ogada - Backing Vocals
- Papa Wemba – Backing Vocals
- Reddy Amissi – Backing Vocals
- Stino Mubi – Backing Vocals
The artwork for the album cover was directed by Michael Colson and co-ordinated by Martha Ladly (formerly of Martha and the Muffins) who was working for Gabriel at the time, with cover images by Fab 4 and Danny Jenkins. It received a nomination for the 1994 Grammy Award for Best Record Sleeve Packaging Design. Danny Jenkins said of his photograph: “I have always been interested in making images and had amassed an extensive collection of 80s office detritus for my digital montages [...] The core photograph of the album was shot in my studio back yard with my Pentax K1000 camera [...] The receiver was randomly picked from a pile of phones and the hand actually belongs to my long-suffering studio assistant Becky Jemmett. It was pure luck and chance that the phone and hand were a convincing enough match for Peter’s on-stage version."
|1994||The Billboard 200||23|
|1992||"Red Rain" (Live)||Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||33|
|RIAA – United States||Album||Gold||18 November 1997|
|Video Longform||Gold||16 March 1998|
|Platinum||7 February 2006|
- Eder, Bruce (2011). "Secret World Live - Peter Gabriel | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- Helligar, Jeremy (16 September 1994). "Secret World Live Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- Richardson, Susan (20 October 1994). "Secret World Live". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 7 June 2012.