Secretary of State for International Trade
|Secretary of State for International Trade|
|Department for International Trade|
|Style||International Trade Secretary|
The Right Honourable
(within the UK and the Commonwealth)
Board of Trade
|Reports to||Prime Minister of the United Kingdom|
on advice of the Prime Minister
|Term length||No fixed term|
|Formation||13 July 2016|
|First holder||Liam Fox|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
the United Kingdom
|United Kingdom portal|
|Part of a series of articles on the|
United Kingdom portal|
European Union portal
Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for International Trade (International Trade Secretary) is a cabinet ministerial position in the government of the United Kingdom. The secretary of state is responsible for overseeing the Department for International Trade, which negotiates new international trade agreements with other countries for the United Kingdom.
The position was created by Prime Minister Theresa May, shortly after she took office on 13 July 2016. The purpose behind this new role follows the result of the 2016 European Union membership referendum on 23 June 2016, in which 51.9% of voters voted in favour of leaving the European Union. Withdrawal from the European Union will require new trade agreements to be formed.
The inaugural holder is former Defence Secretary Liam Fox, who was appointed on 13 July 2016. The Secretary of State also holds the position of President of the Board of Trade, a committee of the Privy Council of which the incumbent is the sole official member.
List of Secretaries of State for International Trade
Colour key (for political parties):
|Term of office||Party||Ministry|
|The Right Honourable
MP for North Somerset
- Shadow Secretary of State for International Trade
- First Lord of Trade
- Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Secretary for Overseas Trade
- Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union (position established concurrently)
- "Liam Fox is appointed Secretary of State for International Trade". 14 July 2016. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- "Liam Fox ridiculed for being only member of new UK board of trade". The Guardian. 12 October 2017. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "Secretary of State for International Trade and President of the Board of Trade". GOV.UK. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- Cite error: The named reference
Namewas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
|This article related to government in the United Kingdom or its constituent countries is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|