Secretary of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
The Secretary of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (or "Secretary of State") administers the Pennsylvania Department of State of the U.S. state (officially, "Commonwealth") of Pennsylvania. The Department protects the public's health, safety and welfare by licensing more than one million business, health and real estate professionals; maintaining registration and financial information for thousands of charities soliciting contributions from Pennsylvanians; overseeing Pennsylvania's electoral process; maintaining corporate filings; and sanctioning professional boxing, kick-boxing and wrestling in the Commonwealth. Unlike many other states (where the office of Secretary of State is an elected position), in Pennsylvania this position is appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Pennsylvania Senate.
By statute, the Secretary is a member of the following Boards and Commissions:
- Chairman of the Pennsylvania Election Reform Task Force
- Chairman of the Navigation Commission for the Delaware River and its Navigable Tributaries
- The Board of Finance and Revenue
- The Board of Property
- The Pennsylvania Municipal Retirement Board
- The State Athletic Commission
- The Interbranch Commission for Gender, Racial and Ethnic Fairness
- The Lobbying Disclosure Regulations Committee
The Secretary is the keeper of the Great Seal of the Commonwealth and has the duty of authenticating government documents through the seal's use. The Secretary is also the Commonwealth's Chief Election Official.
The current Secretary of the Commonwealth is Pedro Cortés.
Structure of the Department of State
The Pennsylvania Department of State consists of six bureaus:
- Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations
- Bureau of Finance and Operations
- Bureau of Enforcement and Investigation
- Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs
- Bureau of Commissions, Elections, and Legislation
- State Athletic Commission
- Pennsylvania Department of State Homepage
- Organization Chart of the PA Dept. of State
- History of the Pennsylvania Department of State & the Secretary of the Commonwealth official legal and political history of the office and the department.
|This Pennsylvania-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|